RE: Stupid questions for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
My wife and I are still exploring our heating options. After researching quite a bit, asking questions from colleagues and at local stores we opted to go with a woodstove.

However, I brought home some brochures yesterday and my wife saw the woodstove inserts which she liked better for aesthetic reasons (although she admitted that the stoves also were not bad looking.) For me personally, I want something that is reliable and will put out enough heat to keep us warm.

Here's my stupid question (or questions) for the day . . . never having had a home with a woodstove insert.

Stupid Question #1: Do you need an actual masonry chimney or can you install one of these with a listed pre-fab chimney?

Stupid Question #2: I think I might know some of the answers already after having done a search here, but are there any pros- or cons- when weighing free-standing stoves v. inserts. I did notice that most folks indicate that it takes a larger insert to get the same amount of heat from a smaller stove due to the heat radiating into the surrounding structure. Any other issues . . . does cost factor in any?

As always, this total newbie appreciates any and all responses.

Where are you going to install this?

It does not make sense (IMO) to install a listed pre-fab fireplace to then install an insert into it. I also did not want a stove because of space considerations.

Take a look at EPA fireplaces, unless you have a masonry or listed pre-fab fireplace already existing to install one into. I ripped out my old pre-fab fireplace and am installing a new EPA fireplace.

Pete

I have an insert. It is somewhat less efficient in heating performance than a freestanding stove, and the blower is really required for good performance. That means that in a power outage you may not have super power heating- though mine warms the room nicely without the blower.

Aesthetics-wise it's really up to opinion, but the insert also generally takes up less space if you already have a fireplace, and the viewing glass gives it more of a fireplace feel. You would not need a full masonry chimney either way, though an interior chimney is generally preferred.

If you want something that will do the job and still be very, very good looking, look at the Woodstock Fireview. You can do that on line. You can talk to the folks at their 800 number...and they are not high pressure folks. Very easy to deal with.

Jake if you're going to be heating with wood to save money and be warm you want to be looking at free standing stoves.

tptb invented inserts to replace inefficient fireplaces...so if you don't ALREADY have a fireplace you basically...don't want one or an insert...

...not that there's anything wrong with inserts...they're a very good alternative to an 'existing' inefficient fireplace. Politely remind your wife you live in Maine.

firefighterjake said:
My wife and I are still exploring our heating options. After researching quite a bit, asking questions from colleagues and at local stores we opted to go with a woodstove.

However, I brought home some brochures yesterday and my wife saw the woodstove inserts which she liked better for aesthetic reasons (although she admitted that the stoves also were not bad looking.) For me personally, I want something that is reliable and will put out enough heat to keep us warm.

Here's my stupid question (or questions) for the day . . . never having had a home with a woodstove insert.

Stupid Question #1: Do you need an actual masonry chimney or can you install one of these with a listed pre-fab chimney?

Stupid Question #2: I think I might know some of the answers already after having done a search here, but are there any pros- or cons- when weighing free-standing stoves v. inserts. I did notice that most folks indicate that it takes a larger insert to get the same amount of heat from a smaller stove due to the heat radiating into the surrounding structure. Any other issues . . . does cost factor in any?.

Answer #1 - most inserts are for masonry fireplaces - a small % of them can be installed into existing "metal" prefab fireplaces. Almost no one would BUILD or install a fireplace to then put an insert into it - rather it is considered if they ALREADY HAVE a fireplace.

Assumption #1 - You don't have a fireplace? Then you may want to look at that third category of units called built-in-stoves or high efficiency fireplaces. These install with pre-fab chimneys and are as efficient as stoves.

Answer #2 - An inserts INTO AN EXISTING MASONRY FIREPLACE...especially exterior fireplaces, can be less efficient than a stove, but I don't think this applies to you because you may not already have a masonry fireplace.

Just giving folks an update . . . and expressing my thanks for your patience in answering my many, many questions.

On Monday I became the proud owner of a Jotul Oslo . . . after doing quite a bit of research here, looking at reviews, checking out the product at the local showrooms and comparing other stoves. Now I just have to build a hearth, get the Chimney guy (actually a Chimney Sweep and fellow firefighter) to install the chimney and get my firewood in (since I'm behind the proverbial eight-ball I'm hoping to harvest some standing deadwood and left-over tree tops that my brother cut this past winter) . . . woo-boy . . . lots to do between now and the first frost.

Again, thanks everyone for your input and answering my many questions . . . even when they might have seemed quite stupid.

Well congratulations I'm sure your family will enjoy it.

Glad to hear you're on your way to a comfortable/secure winter heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.