RE: Thank you Hearth.com . . . giving credit where credit is due

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
In my full time job I work in the Fire Prevention Bureau. Recently I was asked to write an article on heating safety which supposedly is going into an insert of the local paper here (Bangor Daily News.)

While I couldn't touch on every single safety point (i.e. fire extinguishers are useful, smoke detectors are crucial, etc.) and tried to keep my focus specific to heating equipment safety (ranging from electric space heaters to oil boilers and everything in between) I did feel compelled to slide in a comment about hearth.com . . . just as a way of giving back to this fantastic site as it definitely has helped educate me.

----------

Keep warm this winter without getting burned

By Jason Johnson

Right now it’s about 91 degrees outside with 71% humidity. It’s Summer in Maine and most folks are simply thinking of the best way to cool down. However, with heating oil prices at record highs, many Mainers are already starting to think about this coming Winter and how to combat the high cost of heating.
There are several alternative heating options available to the homeowner, ranging from simple space heaters to more complex central heating systems. Here in Bangor we in the Bangor Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau have been advising folks to take the time to research your heating options and carefully weigh the pros- and cons- of the various heating systems.
Even more important . . . take the time to think about fire safety when it comes to using these heating systems. Fires started from heating equipment is the second leading cause of fire in the U.S. and is the leading cause of fire from December to February.

Space Heaters
Space heaters are probably the most inexpensive way to provide alternative heating, but these are also responsible for one-third of the home heating fires. Space heaters may be electric, propane or kerosene-fueled. Regardless of which type you may elect to use remember this important safety tip: space heaters need space. These small heaters may only provide enough heat for a single room, but they also provide enough heat to catch combustible materials on fire as well. For this reason we recommend that you never run a space heater unattended (it’s too easy for a pet to knock it over or a small child can get burned) and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement . . . in general space heaters need to be placed three feet away from anything that can burn (i.e. furniture, trash cans, laundry baskets, etc.) If you opt to use a kerosene or propane-fueled space heater only re-fuel the heater when it is cool and carefully read the manual that comes with the heater as some of these types of heaters may require you to crack open a window to allow in some fresh air.

Woodstoves and Wood Pellet Stoves
Here in Bangor and in much of New England folks are giving wood heat some serious consideration. Once again, take the time to research the pros- and cons- of woodstoves, wood boilers (outside and inside models) and pellet stoves. An excellent on-line resource can be found at hearth.com. Regardless of which type of wood burner you select there are three important considerations when it comes to using these types of heating appliances safely.
1. Follow the manufacturer’s and Fire Code installation requirements. Many of the fires started by a woodstove or pellet stove occur when the home owner fails to follow the manufacturer’s installation requirements (i.e. putting the woodstove or pellet stove too close to combustibles, not providing the correct vent or failing to provide adequate floor protection.)
2. Keep it clean. Running a woodstove, wood boiler or pellet stove is a little more work than using an oil-fired furnace or boiler. Cleaning out ash, maintaining moving parts, checking for creosote in the chimney, etc. are all routine and required tasks.
3. Only buy woodstoves or pellet stoves that are UL-approved. When supplies are tight you may find some unscrupulous suppliers may attempt to sell untested heating equipment. While these stoves may or may not be safe, the only true way to tell if a stove is safe or not is if it meets the standards of Underwriter’s Laboratories. Usually your best bet is to check with a local business – these folks can recommend the proper sized stove for your needs and install the stove professionally.

Depending on what type of wood burner you are using you will have different safety concerns. For example, pellet stoves may require annual maintenance of the blowers and auger, while woodstoves and woodboilers require the home owner to watch for a creosote build-up in the chimney. If you heat with a woodstove or fireplace only use seasoned firewood, do not attempt to start a fire with flammable liquids such as gasoline and when disposing of the ashes keep them in a metal container placed a safe distance from your home.
Finally, if you are considering using an older or second-hand woodstove, pellet stove or have a fireplace that you want to use this Winter call up your local fire department or Chimney Sweep service for an inspection. Many municipalities will offer free basic inspections.

Oil and Natural Gas Central Heating Systems
Central heating systems provided by oil and natural gas are among the most common heating systems found in Maine. These types of heating systems also have a long history of providing reliable heat. However, problems can arise with these systems as well. To keep your oil or natural gas heating system running as efficiently and safely as possible take the time to schedule a cleaning with your service provider this Fall. In some cases you may even choose to replace an older, less efficient system with a newer system. Whether you choose to stay with your old system or buy new, make sure you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for clearance (the space to combustibles such as walls, furniture, etc.)

Final Thoughts
All the experts agree that insulating a house is the most important thing you can do to keep the heat inside your home. Caulk windows and doors and use storm windows or insulating shrink wrap available from hardware stores on leaky windows. During the day open drapes and curtains on southern-facing walls to take advantage of the solar heat coming through the windows and close them at night.
Set thermostats at 68 degrees F when the house is occupied and turn it down to 60 degrees F at night or when everyone is away to save money. Kitchen and fan baths can pull out a houseful of heated air in just one hour so use these sparingly, making sure you turn them off as soon as you are done needing them.
No one wants to freeze this Winter . . . but more importantly no one wants to lose their home this Winter due to a fire. If you are having problems staying warm this winter please contact your local municipality for assistance rather than doing something unsafe.

-----------

As I said . . . not a complete article since I didn't cover every type of heating system and every single safety point . . . more of an article to hammer home the point about selecting the right heating equipment for the individual's needs and the importance of proper installation and cleaning.

That's a very nicely written article. A big part of what makes this site such a rich and valuable resource is the active participation in the forums of folks with the kind of knowledge, experience, and insight that you bring to share with us, Jake...so, right back at ya! Thanks for being here. Rick

agreed, well written , im happy to see that you hammered in the safety aspect (makes sense you being a firefighter) hopefully the folks in your area (as well as who read it here) follow your direction and plan for a safe heating option, lest they get to "meet the author" in less than happy circumstances. Kudo's bro , very well done

JJ, you touched on a lot of good points without being boring; good job! I'd have mentioned CO detectors and Warnock-Hersey, but I'm just splitting hairs- ignore me...:coolsmile:

Chris

Very nice Jake! and from me to you, Thanks a bunch for being here brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.