RE: The hybrids . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
You know with the various steel vs. cast iron vs. soapstone threads that routinely get bandied about here, I've been wondering . . . how do the hybrid woodstoves compare? Do folks that have them and have used other types of stoves think that they live up to the hype (and if so, why aren't there more models out there?) . . . or do folks feel that they're more of a gimmick?

I guess the two hybrids that come to my mind is the soapstone/cast iron combination found in the Hearthstone Phoenix and the cast iron and steel combinatiion of the Pacific Energy Alderlea T-5.

I have a Phoenix, and while the idea that the stove would heat up a little quicker yet still have the constant temperature values of the soapstone, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference in performance. I would say, though, that there are so many other variables to consider (installation, type of wood, quality of wood, draft, etc., etc. etc.) that the 10% difference in stove composition might not be noticeable.

Oh, and the wife liked the way it looked. 'Nuff said.

Jake, let's not forget that the Woodstock stoves also have a lot of cast besides all the stone. They do quite well.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, let's not forget that the Woodstock stoves also have a lot of cast besides all the stone. They do quite well.

Is there such thing as a soapstone only stove on the general market?

My 3450 worked very well. Even though the fire would be down to a few coals in the morning, the soapstone would still be too hot too hold your hand on it.

Slow1 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Is there such thing as a soapstone only stove on the general market?

Wouldn't that be called a masonry stove?

Peace,
- Sequoia

The PE Alderleas are pure hybrids. The stove has more delay in warming up and more latency in heat release. This is what I would expect from a soapstone stove. So far I really like it. Room temp swings are minor and the stove definitely holds more heat after the fire has died down.

Status
Not open for further replies.