RE: Time for a trailer rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
A few years back I had my cousin build me a trailer . . . I had him design this trailer for the primary use of hauling my sled and ATV around, but had him build it with stake pockets so I could also add sides to haul lumber, loam, etc.

Of course, that was before I got into wood burning and so for the past couple of years I think I have hauled far more wood with this custom built trailer than I have had haul the sleds, ATV, etc. . . . although there was that load of cow manure in the Spring for the garden.

In any case, it's a slick trailer -- built out of stainless steel pipe with a PT plywood deck. However, in hauling wood I have noticed it would tend to sometimes rub the tires when overloaded. A minor issue which I figured I would eventually take care of eventually . . . well that day has come.

The other day I went out to change out a tire that had been rubbing on the plywood deck and I happened to poke my head underneath only to find a broken mount where the tire and axle bolt to the trailer's frame. Curious, I checked out the other side of the wheel and found to my alarm another broken mount . . . of course I checked the other side and sure enough, another broken mount.

So that's the bad news . . . my trailer is out of service until my cousin can make the necessary repairs. The good news . . . my cousin figures he can safely fix this and make the trailer will be able to carry more weight safely, without rubbing the tires.

That sucks...I can relate.
I really hauled a little more that I should have in my old trailer and paid the price.
Anyway you could post some pics of the underside...perhaps pick up a new axle/spring kit from Northn Tool or something?

Sound like a good excuse to buy a welder..............

Just as easy to get my cousin to fix the trailer and beef it up . . . since he is a professional welder by trade what he could do in minutes would no doubt take me a week or so to do as I would stumble along and no doubt make a bigger mess.

I searched high and low for a wood cart for the ATV. Tractor supply had a Swisher cart that looked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced at $485.00. They had some others that were less expensive but did not look like they would last. I looked around for axles, hubs etc to make one from scratch. Said screw it, bit the bullet and ordered a Polar 1500.

The tough thing with trailers is they beg to be overloaded. Truck beds too.

Wet cow manure will really weigh down the back of a truck. I bet you had a lot more in that trailer.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.