re-tune a chainsaw when changing bar sizes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlightning

Burning Hunk
Feb 28, 2011
Southeast PA
When you are changing bars sizes on your saw do you re-tune your saw? I have read that some do and some say you don't need to.

When you are changing bars sizes on your saw do you re-tune your saw? I have read that some do and some say you don't need to.
No I just leave it that way it was. You might notice a diffrent chain speed but that is just from more or less chain to move but the motor is still running the same speed.

I have never retuned as I would liken it to changing sprocket combos on a bike. The load on the engine may possibly change under varying conditions, i.e. hillclimbs (bike) or a 36" tree (saw), but the properly tuned engine either has the power to do the job or not from the start. Fuel and air intake are not changing so not sure why would one retune?
IMHO...

Reactions: ScotO
Nope.

Only re-tune your saw when the saw needs it. Different bar sizes won't require re-tuning. Just make sure you saw has the CC's to turn the bar you are putting on it. No amount of tuning in the entire world will make small CC saws turn bars that are too big for them.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Just make sure you saw has the CC's to turn the bar you are putting on it. No amount of tuning in the entire world will make small CC saws turn bars that are too big for them.....

Well that sucks.... I was gonna put that .063 gauge 36" bar on the 28cc wee Echo this afternoon & see what it could do.;) Damn bar weighs almost as much as the saw itself.I think with a full skip chain I'd have quite the sleeper though....;lol

Sleeper is right. The saw would fall asleep trying to cut wood while you fell asleep waiting for it to get done.
I'm picturing a Yugo with monster mudders on it. Just sitting there.==c

Reactions: Thistle
Bar length no. Temp changes yes. A C

Reactions: Nixon
Well that sucks.... I was gonna put that .063 gauge 36" bar on the 28cc wee Echo this afternoon & see what it could do.;) Damn bar weighs almost as much as the saw itself.I think with a full skip chain I'd have quite the sleeper though....;lol

I'd do a full woods port, squish the check band or something like that and don't forget to mod your muffler. Only run AVGas in it mixed 22:1 or it'll burn up and since you're halfway between the East & West coasts I'd run semi-skip chain. ;):p

Reactions: Thistle
I can swap the full wrap handle off the big Husky too,it'd wrap around 4 times that lil beast lol.

Reactions: MasterMech
May have to adjust the oiler to keep up with the extra bar length though. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.