RE: Two way radios for use while ATVing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Our ATV Club is looking at getting a couple of portable, hand-held two way radios for use on club rides for better communication . . . we've had a few instances where the leader didn't realize there was a problem in the back of the pack . . . since not everyone goes on every ride and we mix up the leader and tail gunner I am shying away from systems that mount in helmets on a more or less permanent basis (plus they seem to be pretty pricey.)

I'm looking for suggestions for a decent, affordable solution. Some options considered.

Marine Radios: Apparently a lot of hunters here in Maine use them and like them as they are water-proof (which is good for us ATVers as well) and they have 5 watts of power and do not require a FCC license. The bad news is that it appears as though many of these hunters and others are using these illegally since my reading indicates that marine radios are only supposed to be used on the water.

Family Radio Service (FRS) Radios: No license required, but they only offer a 1/2 watt capability.

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS): Often paired with FRS, to use the GMRS side of the two way radio one is supposed to purchase a FCC license . . . although I kind of wonder if many folks actually do. It seems these radios range from 1-5 watts in power.

Multi Use Radio Service (MURS): Supposedly this was supposed to be a good license free alternative for folks who wanted more power and transmitting distance than the GMRS without having to get a license. Most radios I've seen go up to 2 watts . . . but it seems as though finding one of these in a well known radio company is pretty rare.

Citizen's Band Radio: Maybe it's just me, but as a kid I just remember this being very crowded with lots of heehaw hicks and the reception was pretty crappy . . . of course it could have also been the equipment. Handhelds seem to range up to 4 watts in power.

---

So for what I need what would you suggest? I am leaning one way right now . . . but I am curious as to what you folks think might work.

It is difficult Jake. We've tried different things during RAAM and things work good for some areas but not so good for other areas. For sure we always seemed to have a problem in wooded areas; especially in West Virginia in the mountains.

I suggest you take another look at FRS. I don't know the power limits, but we have a couple of them, and the range is pretty good. I believe that they claim 4 to 5 miles over ideal terrain. Even if it's a mile, or a half mile, that should be enough, maybe. Our radios have high and low power settings, I suppose to save the batteries if you're nearby. There are quite a few channels available, so you could avoid interference with other users.
These Midlands Midland Radios claim 36 mile range. That seems pretty optimistic, but they should do what you want, I think.

Stay away from Marine radios. Can cause a lot of problems for Mariners. They have been used up here, along ways from the ocean. But as another note, the signal performs on flat areas(like water?) go figure. The hills and mountains they don't work so well. Cheap radios for the dollars, but down your way, too close to the water.

CB's? I can talk sometimes as far as a mile, but it has to be low skip days and I'm on the interstate or rolling hills. This is truck mounted type. Hand held because of short antenna, don't do very well. 10-4?

How about the radios Firefighters use? :) Those would work perfect!

We use garmin rhino radios. not only are they gmrs but you can set them to send out a blip every so often so that other ridders in the pack can see where you are at on the screen. a little insurance for wrecks and break downs. just like any handheld, terrain plays a huge part in range.

flyingcow said:
Stay away from Marine radios. Can cause a lot of problems for Mariners. They have been used up here, along ways from the ocean. But as another note, the signal performs on flat areas(like water?) go figure. The hills and mountains they don't work so well. Cheap radios for the dollars, but down your way, too close to the water.

CB's? I can talk sometimes as far as a mile, but it has to be low skip days and I'm on the interstate or rolling hills. This is truck mounted type. Hand held because of short antenna, don't do very well. 10-4?

How about the radios Firefighters use? :) Those would work perfect!

Need a license . . . very expensive . . . plus I think they might miss the radios on the fire calls. ;)

Any radios that work in the 150 Mhz range, or the 450 Mhz range. I think both areas have a range of public use frequencies. Anything pushing at least a watt should be adequate for a mile or two if used in line of sight situations (open fields) or perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 mile in hilly, wooded areas. As the frequency increases the radio waves tend to bounce off of solid objects so things like hills and leaves on trees make a difference.

Otherwise, the FCC no longer requires morse code for an amateur (ham) license. To get the basic license (for VHF and above) its a multiple choice Q&A test on radio theory and rules and regulations. Amateur hand held radios typically max out around 5 watts and you have the availability of repeater systems.

FRS are pretty nice, super cheap, small and light. In good conditions (peak to peak) you can get a amazing distance (many miles). In hilly suburban (trees, hills and homes) I can get 1/4 mile with perfect signal, then its get staticky. (read the reviews on amazon with those "36 mile" radios, the reviewers say they get no more than a mile. Thats standard for GMRS, FRS gets a little less, but not much)

If you will be riding near each other, I suggest the FRS. If you arent riding together, then all bets are off. GMRS might be a good alternative.

Not that I would expect it to be a problem, but in parks I would actually suspect FRS and GMRS to be more crowded than CB. FRS/GMRS are easy to buy now, light, cheap, and common. CB is larger, more expensive and "old technology" (at least perceived as such). At least that is what I have found. CB also has more channels to hide in. But the truckers on channel 19 are definitely not family friendly!

If it was me. I would just get some used, hardcore CB radios off ebay, that are designed to be hard mounted in a vehicle and use them. That way you get lots of power, can use a large antenna, and a small light mic. Used off ebay is a very economical way to do it.

If you were just hiking, them FRS would be my suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.