Re-Use Buck 27000 or Buy new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmyth

Apr 28, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
My in-laws removed their Buck 27000 from the late 80's after remodeling their family room. It was installed as an insert and has no leg kit.

I'd like to install it in our home, or buy a new stove instead. I have a 3 story home from 1885. Because of the layout of our home, this stove would only heat the first floor and stairwell area which is <1500 sq ft.

I have been told by a local stove installation company that our chimney is unlined and they would not recommend installing a liner. Their recommendation is to go through the side of our house and run stainless steel pipe up the outside of our home.

The local company is recommending Jotul, Alderlea or Pacific Energy if I want to buy a new stove.

Is it safe to install this stove (or any stove) with a liner through our chimney?
Should I instead go through the side of our house and up the outside with stainless?
Should I sell this stove and buy a new one?

Thank you for your help!

Is it safe to install this stove (or any stove) with a liner through our chimney?
Probably not no.

Should I instead go through the side of our house and up the outside with stainless?
Possibly why did they say not to line the existing chimney?

Should I sell this stove and buy a new one?
A new stove will be much more efficent which means more heat from each peice of wood. And it probably run on a 6" chimney which will be cheaper.

Probably not no.

Possibly why did they say not to line the existing chimney?
The install estimate simply says "Chimney not stable situation" What they told me is that because our house is so old and the chimney was never lined (it is just bricks without any kind of tile or mortar liner is that just isn't a good idea to use and that running a liner would be difficult / might get stuck before it reached the end destination. They did not actually inspect the chimney or run a camera down to determine if a new liner could make the run.

A new stove will be much more efficent which means more heat from each peice of wood. And it probably run on a 6" chimney which will be cheaper.

Thanks!

I'm not understanding why they did not think a liner would work. An insulated stainless steel liner should be quite safe. Is there a problem with the current chimney's throat size or is the current chimney in really bad shape?

I'm not understanding why they did not think a liner would work. An insulated stainless steel liner should be quite safe. Is there a problem with the current chimney's throat size or is the current chimney in really bad shape?

Me either. I have called another company for them to come take a look. The chimney is 9+" in diameter so size isn't the issue. I think it was the assumption or laziness of the first company that they didn't want to bother with the variables of an old chimney and it's possible condition. The only access point currently is the roof so without a killer flashlight or a camera it seems fine from what I can see.

What kind of chimney is it? When you said unlined i assumed it was masonry but when you say 9" diameter that implies round which is rare in a masonry chimney.

What kind of chimney is it? When you said unlined i assumed it was masonry but when you say 9" diameter that implies round which is rare in a masonry chimney.

I don't know much about chimney's. My home is a shotgun style home (narrow and long), is from 1885 and used to have coal fireplaces. There are 2 brick masonry chimneys each with 4 unlined flue's. Does that help?

Well many chimneys servicing coal fireplaces where pretty small which could make a liner not possible many where also far from straight which can make a liner very difficult as well. That with the fact that that old buck probably needs an 8" liner may mean a liner for it is not an option. Or it could be that the guy you had out just didn't want to do it. Get another opinion or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.