RE: Used Husky 346XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Well, I bought it. The guy shows up and tells me it'll run, 'cause there's still fuel in it. I ask how long since he ran it last, says a couple of years. Ugh! So I dump the turpentine, add fresh fuel and yank away. Nope, not gonna fire. Didn't expect it to anyway, but I had to put on the show. Pulled the plug at his insistence, looked new. He thinks the problem HAS to be a bad plug. And so it goes, but I did get him to knock $20.00 off his asking price. This is the older version of the 346XP, orange side cover, so not the saw he had listed. But the thing is basically brand new. The chain is dull, but the bar hardly looked used, paint was hardly scuffed. I just dropped it off at the Husky dealer, and he's gonna clean the junk out of the fuel system, but he told me the thing looked new on the inside. He was impressed. So, I have to learn about the older version of this thing, 'cause the balance and weight are fantastic compared to my 455. Does this thing have a CAT muffler? and if so what can be done about it? Or should I leave well enough alone and enjoy the saw as is? If it was YOU, what would you do to the saw? Thanks, JB

I would run it first before any modds it should be a great running 50cc saw even stock.

smokinjay, is this thing a 50cc? I've lurked on other forums trying to find out what it actually is, but I don't know what to look for to determine it's actual age. I've seen 45-50cc posted, but I have no clue. I'm way too lazy to spend money and time modifying a good saw, unless I win the lotto or something. But I would like to know of mods. that others have done, just to see what can happen. Thanks. :coolsmile:

Beetle-Kill said:
smokinjay, is this thing a 50cc? I've lurked on other forums trying to find out what it actually is, but I don't know what to look for to determine it's actual age. I've seen 45-50cc posted, but I have no clue. I'm way too lazy to spend money and time modifying a good saw, unless I win the lotto or something. But I would like to know of mods. that others have done, just to see what can happen. Thanks. :coolsmile:

Yes its a very well known 50cc saw and a lot of people would argue that's its the very best 50cc saw made....Muffler modd. would be the only thing I would do to it and only if you must have more power! Nice score for sure!

I'm a happy boy, a happy boy! I'll wait until I get it back and actually cut something with it, before doing something 'toopid with it, or expensive. Thanks again! JB- (tell me again how well I did on this, so when the wife finds out about it she won't beat me to death!! ($245.00 cost)) :roll: :p :lol:

Beetle-Kill said:
I'm a happy boy, a happy boy! I'll wait until I get it back and actually cut something with it, before doing something 'toopid with it, or expensive. Thanks again! JB- (tell me again how well I did on this, so when the wife finds out about it she won't beat me to death!! ($245.00 cost)) :roll: :p :lol:

You Done Awesome and let the wife know you have room for a couple hundred more on this prodject....but better wait to see what the repair bill is? I would guess 50-75.00 bucks.

I'm gonna try to print that response out, so she has NO room to argue. (She just recieved a new Stihl FS90R trimmer, and a Toro mower for her use). Cost- don't ask, but she's worth it(according to her). Now, she just has to USE them...! Thanks again! JB

Congrats BK. You scored a great saw at an amazing price. Ask the dealer if it has a cat muffler when you pick it up, they'll be able to tell with a quick look. If it's a Cat, you may want to mod it, but use it for a while first to see. And don't just hack up a Cat muffler without knowing what you're doing. The catalysts in there can be very nasty & you don't want to inhale any or drag it into your home. Buy a non-cat replacement & modify that instead.

midwestcoast- Thanks, and don't worry- I'll not be messing with the muffler for a bit. That's a winter thing, unless N-of-60 wants to plumb it into his BK, to try to hit 45 hr. burns ;-P

Beetle-Kill said:
midwestcoast- Thanks, and don't worry- I'll not be messing with the muffler for a bit. That's a winter thing, unless N-of-60 wants to plumb it into his BK, to try to hit 45 hr. burns ;-P

:lol: Congrats and enjoy your new purchase Beetle-Kill.
Cheers

north of 60 said:
Ya but wont the CAT muffler give the saw a longer burn time?

:lol: Sure, an 8 hour burn time & it'll still be hot enough to fire up the next tankfull without a match. :ahhh:

I had my 346xp out today, dropped about 15 birch trees that were dying on my land. They ranged from 12" to 24" in diameter. I don't think I used a half tank of gas. I really like the power and the lite weight. Only took about 1 1/2 hrs and I only hung up 3 trees!!! I'll just pull them down with the winch.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.