Re-venting furnace/hot water heater: Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upnorth9986

Jan 26, 2007
I need to revent my stove and hot water heater seeing as which they go into the chimney (new lopi wood stove coming). I'm pretty sure I can feed both into a double wall b-vent with a fan.
My questions are:
what type of duct fan do I need?
Can I use a standard tee or must I use a double wall tee (if there is such a thing)?
Once im outside, must I maintain a double wall pipe?
how far up do i have to go?
and can I use double wall stove pipe kits that I have seen for sale at lowes?

Thank you in advance
Chris :)

chris you may first we have to know the model and make of the hotwater heater and furnace. They now have draft hoods and manual draft. I have to determine if they can be retrofitted to a power vent setup and I doubt the gas hot water and furnace can be hooked up to a single power vent. I have to determine it this is possible. The power vent has to be wired into the burner to open before ignition in the fire box and stay running till after the exhaust is removed. Then the hot water heater would need to be wired to do the same. This is not a common setup power venters are quite expensive and your wiring and controls will not be cheap

A power venter does not need additional draft pipe extentions but must be elevated above snow dept. You may need a separate curcuit for the powerventer

Well I orignally thought about going through the side of the house and up because both my hot water heater and furnace are in the same room and right next to an outside wall. I orignally wanted to go out the side and up because I was going to add an addition above that room someday. However, I think the fan idea might be a bit much. Someone had suggested to me doing a wye connecter and just going straight up. I dont plan on doing the addition for a few years yet but when I do, as long as i maintain clearences, i should be fine to extend it and go up next to the wall through the roof.

My furnace is a new good man and puts out 56,000 btu, intake is 70,000. the hot water heater is a 40 gal, 34,000 btu.
The first image the furnace, just behind it is the outside wall and I think i would go straight up somewhere around there
the second is how they are curently vented
The third image is of the small actic space obove the utility room.

Attachments

• furn 3.jpg
    furn 3.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 261
  • furn 22.jpg
    furn 22.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 251
  • furn 111.jpg
    furn 111.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 253
I'm still shaking my head looking at the middle picture did you know single wall vent pipe has 18" to combustiables? the place a heat shield at ceiling level for the gas hot water heated but 2/3 up the wall the heat from the pipe has turned the knotty pine dark. Just for assumption somebody may hace got the furnace pipe right with double wall pipe but the hotwater heater the installer had a brain Phart.. You need to speak to your gas inspector to figure out what he will alllow. I can quote code all day but he signs off the permit and inspection. What provisions do you have for combustion air?. Her what I would do call your inspections office and speak to the gas inspector and ask if he can take a peak at you situation and offer suggestions .He sees exactly what you have and listens to exactly what you are planning. You can get direct feedback. Almost all members here are not qualified to answer your questions.

We had just bought the house a year ago and I am find all types of jerry rigging all over the house. My next call is to the inspect office but I like having an idea ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.