RE: Vornado Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Our long-time desk top fan is having issues . . . sometimes to get it going I have to take off the guard and spin it as if I was cranking a prop to an old WW I bi-plane.

Thanks to a safety program at work I have some "Safety Bucks" to spend . . . was thinking about purchasing a Vornado fan.

Was just wondering . . . those of you that have them.

1. What model do you have?
2. Do you like it or not?

Don't have Vornados but five years ago I ended up with one of these, used, in a box of auction junk. Damn thing is great and has worked flawlessly all these years and walking through Target this Fall they had them on clearance sale for five bucks apiece and I bought two more.

The old one is blowing down the stairs right now and one of the new ones into the stove room.

http://www.target.com/p/chillout-compact-fan-white/-/A-13360389#prodSlot=medium_1_16&term=fans

I've had a Vornado since 1994. It's great. It pushes a "tube" of air rather than a "wall" of air. This makes it great for heat distribution because you can leave it on the lowest setting and push air 20+ feet. I don't know if they're still made as well as 1994, but I love mine. The prop looks like a plastic version of something ripped off an Evinrude.

Jake, we actually have two of them. The larger one is on a pedestal and we use it only in the summer. It would be too strong to use in the winter. The one we have to use in winter is quite small and we set it on the floor. Just measured it and it is 7 1/2" diameter. Looks similar to this:

vornado fan.png

We have two of the full size floor models (733). Modified them so they blow across the floor instead of up at an angle with some screws and vinyl caps. Work great at moving cold air a distance (especially at the price wal-hel closed 'em @- $25) I keep a back room office closed overnight and open in the morning, turn the vornado on and evacuate the cold air tout suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.