RE: Which ones?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Looking at purchasing used tires for my truck since I use my truck infrequently and mostly for just hauling firewood, sleds, ATVs, etc. and not as a daily driver . . .

I know tire choice is also rather subjective, but looking for opinions.

My choices . . . two local choices --

1/2 tread Michelin Cross Terrain (down one size): $300 includes mounting and balance

1/2 tread Continental Contitrac TR (same size): $300 includes mounting and balance

In New Hampshire (3 hours away -- 6 hours round trip) --

1/2 tread General Grabber AT2s (the 10 ply version): $400 (I will need to pay for the mounting and balancing)

It's hard to go wrong with Michelins.

10 ply is stiff. Real stiff on a half ton truck. I finally got rid of the 8 ply things on my truck and am happy for it. Even being sprung as a "heavy half", there was no purpose to have that kind of tire on that truck. The ride was horrible unless I had a couple thousand pounds in the bed (and my truck weighed 6000 pounds empty). Just my opinion.

don't go with a size to small it will be like you are going faster than you are and can throw the computer off and gas milage could suffer.

Follow up ... made the trek to NH for the General Grabbers.

Follow up ... made the trek to NH for the General Grabbers.
I am interested in what you think once you get them on the truck. My tires were a different brand and I know that can make a difference, but between the low traction (hard compound) and stiff ride (8 ply), I was not a fan.

I am interested in what you think once you get them on the truck. My tires were a different brand and I know that can make a difference, but between the low traction (hard compound) and stiff ride (8 ply), I was not a fan.

Different vehicle and all . . . but I actually had a set of these tires on a SUV a number of years ago and liked them. At this point I'm mainly looking for puncture resistance and a set of tires that will wear better than the OEM Wrangler SR-As on my truck. I would have loved to go brand new, but honestly money is tight right now for me and for as little as I use my truck -- mostly hauling firewood, sleds, ATVs, etc. (very rarely do I drive it to work or on trips unless I am planning on going off road on gravel roads while camping) -- I am in hopes that these tires will fit my needs.

Reactions: Jags
Hope the tires were like new
New 265/70R17 for a set of 4- 555 $
around here that's installed and balanced

Hope the tires were like new
New 265/70R17 for a set of 4- 555 $
around here that's installed and balanced

Cheapest I could find around here -- odd ball size was partly the reason -- was $200 and change per tire for the General Grabbers (10 ply). Most of the prices I was looking at -- decent, name brands, installed and balanced -- were ranging from $750 to over $1,000.

Grabbers suck. I had them before replacing them with Michelins. The wear like shat, and didn't even come close to the mileage they were warranted for. Suck in rain & snow also.
With tires, you get what you pay for.

Tires are a definite improvement from what I had . . . the ride is slightly firmer than before . . . I attribute the lack of a huge change in the ride due to the fact that I had 1-2 tires with almost full tread and 2-3 tires that were very close to needing to be replaced which meant for a rough, steering wheel shaking at high speed ride.

I am curious . . . for folks who have had E Load rated tires. I know they can take much higher PSI and folks often air them up when hauling a load. I am curious however what folks typically run in these tires when not hauling wood, trailers, etc.

E rated tires 80 psi , I do recommend running them at any thing less than 75. You will screw up the belts and possibly compromise the side walls. I have had General, Good Year, Firestone, Michelin and right now on one truck Cooper -Coursers. The Firestone were nothing but trouble 4 out of 5 suffered radial belt failure with one completely losing the tread at highway speed, General and Goodyear about 50k miles- wore out before reaching. Michelin did 80K but the compound is/was so hard that they were dicey in rain and snow. The Coopers have around 30k at them at present and look like they will make it to their rated mileage span of 50k decent in snow and rain and not annoyingly loud like some. They were reasonably priced as well but not cheap, guess that depends on your point of view though. Tires are used on F250 and F350 except for spring rates same components under neath. Both these trucks are used for plowing snow as well.

I've been running load range E fomy current e350 and old e250 i have some weight in the truck but not that much not like a plumber. anytbing less than 65 pounds in any of the brands i''ve had and the back end gets wishy washy and the front end folds over the tire so the front end leans over

My F350 Single rear wheel uses E rated tires. The door jamb sticker says to run the rears at 80 psi and the fronts way less, like 55 or 50 all the time. I put 60 in all four when empty and it makes a huge difference in ride quality. Also, if you run 80 psi all the time on a lightly loaded tire then you will only wear out the center since it balloons up. When loaded I pump up the rears to 80 and it's happy.

Last edited:
I only have a half ton pick-up, but it sounds like I should put a little more air in the tires than the 45 psi I am running in them currently?

Read your side wall for the proper psi, some pickups came with P rated tires and not c, d, or e, rated ones.

the side wall is the max pressure not the right pressure. In our trucks we typically run 65psi which is recommended. On my 1 ton 1990 f250hd i jack the back up to 80 if i haul a ton or more. I have always liked general grabbers they have worked well for us in the past. Right now i have a set of mickey thompsons on my ford that I got real cheap. They are good in everything but snow they just load up with snow and are worthless

the one thing that works with the max tire pressure is the vehicle rolls better and that ups the miles per gallon. i've never wore out the center of a tire on any vehicle i've owned but even with a proper alignment tires on the front wear on the outsides from exit ramps and turns but i rotate my tires with every oil change and that made the difference even blown up hard they wear even for me. and i usually get more miles than expected out of a set. when i'm in my truck a truck is a truck it still rides stiff so i go for the mileage. to each his own. my car has 45 pound tires and it came with 35 pound tires i run the 45 pound tires at 40. at 45 pound the tire is so hard that a wash board would send the car all over the place but 40 pounds is just right

the one thing that works with the max tire pressure is the vehicle rolls better and that ups the miles per gallon.
yes and it also reduces traction I will sacrifice a tiny bit of mileage for better traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.