RE: Win-win-win

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Got to cross something off my bucket list on Friday . . . finally had the chance to run one of those industrial sized wood chippers. I've often seen the Asplundh trucks with their attached chippers and thought it would be fun to try ramming some wood and branches through it . . . and yup . . . I was right. It was fun.

I also got a nice pick up load of wood (with some more wood to pick up tomorrow possibly) . . . another win.

And my co-worker said that since there were a few of us there (me and two other co-workers helping) the tree guy knocked $200 off the quoted price since he said it made the job go that much faster.

It was definitely worth taking off a vacation day.

Attachments

• chipper.jpg
    chipper.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 234
The new ones have a slow speed feeder. Without that you do a running throw as the piece is sucked in. What was the one you used?

Not sure . . . it would start chomping on something as soon as you pushed it in . . . and stop when it wasn't running.

I know one thing for sure . . . they're some loud.

The tree guy said this one was a loaner worth $50,000 (guess I won't be buying one any time soon) . . . said his own chipper is even more powerful (but was currently being fixed.)

Without that you do a running throw as the piece is sucked in.

Those are often referred to as "chuck and duck" chippers. Very loud, very simple, cheap and effective with their self feeding action that sucks the branch right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.