RE: Working in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
My buddy Aaron came down and we worked in the woods all day . . . well except for the hour or so we hung out at the Unity House of Pizza for lunch.

While cutting some trees, bucking them up and hauling them back we found this old rusty oil can . . . which we then had the bright idea of turning into a "hobo woodstove" to keep warm . . . and it actually worked . . . at the day's end we posed in front of the fire and posed our saws in front of the fire. As you can see the day was fueled by Bud Light and Moxie. I'm pretty sure we remembered to put out the fire when we left for the day. :)

Attachments

• DSCF3919.jpg
    DSCF3919.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 566
  • DSCF3921.jpg
    DSCF3921.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 595
  • DSCF3922.jpg
    DSCF3922.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 573
  • DSCF3923.jpg
    DSCF3923.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3917.jpg
    DSCF3917.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 592
More pictures . . . Aaron cutting a tree down which he hung up (I didn't do much better a few minutes later when I attempted to cut down a tree) . . . Aaron showing off his wedge (seemed very proud of it), our Hobo Woodstove, pile of wood that we brought home (figured there is 1 1/2 to 2 cords of wood based on how much wood my trailer holds) and my wood which is seasoning and will be used in 2013-2014.

Attachments

• DSCF3926.jpg
    DSCF3926.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 550
  • DSCF3925.jpg
    DSCF3925.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCF3918.jpg
    DSCF3918.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 524
  • DSCF3915.jpg
    DSCF3915.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCF3911.jpg
    DSCF3911.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 565
Looks like a LOTTAA FUN!!! What kind of wood? Also whats this Moxie stuff?? I told you I'm deprived!! No oak trees and now no moxie!!! Thats it I'm moving to Maine... Patrick

A mix . . . cherry, maple (red or sugar, not sure which type), white birch and white ash. the funny thing is there is very little oak on the family land, but I did manage to find one solitary oak in the area where I am cutting . . . needless to say it will not be cut.

As for Moxie . . . well you would have to ask Gamma all about that . . . I personally think it's the best soft drink ever . . . kind of tastes like a cola soda with a hint of a bitter after-taste that sneaks up on you after you take a swig . . . other folks say it is like Coca Cola with battery acid or cough syrup mixed in. In any case, it's Maine's official state soft drink and is quite popular.

Bad beer (strike one), bad soft drinks (strike 2), and Husky saws- going for the trifecta I see :)

Well, looks like a good time at least. I may get out to cut wood in the yard Sunday- first time in a long time.

If it's any consolation AP my buddy Aaron usually drinks Guiness . . . but since he was working with a dangerous tool he figured he would play it safe. ;)

firefighterjake said:
My buddy Aaron came down and we worked in the woods all day . . . well except for the hour or so we hung out at the Unity House of Pizza for lunch.

While cutting some trees, bucking them up and hauling them back we found this old rusty oil can . . . which we then had the bright idea of turning into a "hobo woodstove" to keep warm . . . and it actually worked . . . at the day's end we posed in front of the fire and posed our saws in front of the fire. As you can see the day was fueled by Bud Light and Moxie. I'm pretty sure we remembered to put out the fire when we left for the day. :)

Looks like you had a great day Jake, the make shift woodstove looks like it worked out great.

zap

None of my friends around here are even remotely interested in manual labor.

Looks like fun to me!

-SF

I really hate to see gas tanks that close to an open fire, but, hey, if you're a fireman, I guess it's OK, huh? C'mon, Jake, you know better!

Looks like a fun day , god exercise, good cutting weather & you got some good BTUs for 13/14.
Nice pictures, even some snow.
Nice stacks of wood & a holts hausen
Good job!

I don't know Jake, looks like a whole bunch of posing and no work got done. Really, a shot of an empty trailer, coupla' guys with chain saws, and wood that coulda' been from whenever. Sure you didn't just hang out in the woods and drink? hehehe :cheese:
Just bustin' your chops, looks like you guys had a great day. Two cord is a pretty good day (would be for me, in a week :smirk: ).

Guess I gotta ask what kinda one and a half to two cord kinda cords are you talkin' about, them " city folk from away face cords "? Don't git me wrong, a day hangin' out in the woods with a buddy drinkin' and playin' with chainsaws is a great day, tell the ol' lady, "yeah, cut a couple cord today, man I could sure use a massage" is great.

My pepere used to drink Moxie. I don't think he had any taste buds left or something. Taste like the "broth" left over from boiling a pair of old work boots in a pot for a few days. Not that Bud Light tastes much better though!

I just bribe mine with food or beer, seems to work out well.

SlyFerret said:

Looks like fun to me!

-SF

Looks like you got some work done and still had fun. That is a great day.

We've made the hobo heaters too. Lately I've been thinking I might try taking the Mr. Buddy heater out with me when the weather turns cold. Would be an easy way to warm hands.

hossthehermit said:
I really hate to see gas tanks that close to an open fire, but, hey, if you're a fireman, I guess it's OK, huh? C'mon, Jake, you know better!

It's actually a lot further than it looks in the pic . . . trust me . . . I know all about gasoline and open flames.

PapaDave said:
I don't know Jake, looks like a whole bunch of posing and no work got done. Really, a shot of an empty trailer, coupla' guys with chain saws, and wood that coulda' been from whenever. Sure you didn't just hang out in the woods and drink? hehehe :cheese:
Just bustin' your chops, looks like you guys had a great day. Two cord is a pretty good day (would be for me, in a week :smirk: ).

Well to be fair . . . some of the wood we hauled home I had cut down and bucked up in the few weeks previously . . . I mean . . . look at me . . . do I look like the perfect male specimen . . . a virtual Paul Bunyan of the Central Maine woods? I'm all about going slow and easy. ;)

hossthehermit said:
Guess I gotta ask what kinda one and a half to two cord kinda cords are you talkin' about, them " city folk from away face cords "? Don't git me wrong, a day hangin' out in the woods with a buddy drinkin' and playin' with chainsaws is a great day, tell the ol' lady, "yeah, cut a couple cord today, man I could sure use a massage" is great.

Real cords . . . I never could figure out those artificial cords . . . and we did get a fair amount of work done except for the break at lunch . . . but as mentioned some of this wood I had cut down, limbed and bucked up previously.

NATE379 said:
My pepere used to drink Moxie. I don't think he had any taste buds left or something. Taste like the "broth" left over from boiling a pair of old work boots in a pot for a few days. Not that Bud Light tastes much better though!

Are you sure you're from Maine originally??? ;) :) Maybe you've just been away for too long . . . next thing I know you'll be telling me that salt and vinegar chips are terrible, you hate baked potatoes and french fries and your clam chowder has tomato soup in it. ;)

NATE379 said:
I just bribe mine with food or beer, seems to work out well.

SlyFerret said:

Looks like fun to me!

-SF

Same here . . . except my one friend really seems to like using his chainsaw . . . heck, he brought down the drinks and donuts this time . . . I told him it's supposed to be the other way with me paying for the snacks and drinks . . . I did buy him lunch though.

Looks like a great day in the woods. I work alone, it would be nice to have company from time to time, but not ALL the time.

NATE379 said:

Never had Moxie but a gotta agree about the Bud Light! :) It is just a step up from Natty Lite!

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.