Read any good books lately?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
Does anyone have any suggestions for a woodstove related book?

So far I have

The book of Heat by the staff of Vermont Castings
The new improved wood heat, by John Vivian
The Harrowsmith country life guide to wood heat, by Dirk Thomas
The new woodburners handbook, by Stephen Bushway
Modern and Classic Woodburning Stoves, by Bob and Carol Ross
The art and ingenuity of the woodstove , Jan Adkins
WOOD STOVE HANDBOOK , by Wilbur W. Newcomb

Absorbing all I can,

Please suggest the best book you have read..

Thanks

Bob

Woodburners Encylopedia (Shelton)
Wood Heat Safety (Shelton)

I think I have an extra around of at least one of these - if you PM or email me an address, I'll send it to you.

I think it's high time for a novel set around the industry. Stephen Morris got close in his "Tales of Beyonder" where many of the characters in VT work at a new woodstove company (VC).

I would like to see a history of the hearth industry book. Alot of ingenius people go nameless in the hearth industry. I didn't even know who Thulman was until a couple years ago.

The Woodburner's Companion: Practical Ways of Heating with Wood, By Dirk Thomas

Here's a couple reviews on Amazon. Sounds like a good one. I'll be looking for a copy at my library.

http://tinyurl.com/m8bpn

The Book of Masonry Stoves: Rediscovering an Old Way of Warming by David Lyle (Chelsea Green Publishing Co., 1984)

I've read this one and highly recommend it. The title is decieving. It pretty much covers the entire history of fire and man's attempt to control it using the hearth, from fire on the floor of a hut, to modern wood stoves, with special emphasis on masonry heaters for reasons that are made clear in the book.

Another interesting one I've read details the building of wood stoves (many designs) from oil drums in the golden age of the Alaskan hippy migration in the 70's. ;) It's impressive to see a back to the earth kind of guy hammer out a highly functional wood stove from discarded metal, and also gives a good fundamental explanation of the basic features required to build a wood stove through the vicarious experiences of the author. He even touches on coking stoves and secondary combustion in homemade devices. This was written prior to EPA regs, so you probably wouldn't want to build one of these yourself, except maybe for a cabin or a pet project, even though he pretty much gives step by step instructions for a few designs. Still, it was an interesting read.

Wood Stoves; How to Make and Use Them, by Ole Wik

The last two books I found at the library.

Status
Not open for further replies.