Reading A Used Spark Plug/ Update with Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Since I'm changing the spark plugs on the Stihl Chainsaws I thought this was appropriate.

zap

Good stuff!

I take a quick look when taking them out but will pay more attention to what they are saying, the 310 & 390 will get changed tonight then I'll throw the pics up of the old spark plugs.

Zap

Great info there, Zap. When I tune or rebuild a saw, I use the spark plug as one way to get the saw tuned properly. Everybody that does serious firewood cutting or logging should know how to watch their spark plug and tune their saw. Thanks for sharing!

Good info for sure! I just got done giving the local shop almost $55 for those stupid bosch plugs for all my stihl stuff!!! I clean and keep the old ones as spares in case of failure on a job.

Bocefus78 said:
Good info for sure! I just got done giving the local shop almost $55 for those stupid bosch plugs for all my stihl stuff!!! I clean and keep the old ones as spares in case of failure on a job.

Just bought three Bosch plugs for the saws from our local Stihl dealer, cost was $5.00 plus tax.

zap

zapny said:
Bocefus78 said:

Just bought three Bosch plugs for the saws from our local Stihl dealer, cost was $5.00 plus tax.

zap

Yea, but he got those ones that gives it extra horse power! :lol: So 10.00 a plug and you can add another 7 percent to the bottom line. ;-)

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Bocefus78 said:

zap

Yea, but he got those ones that gives it extra horse power! :lol: So 10.00 a plug and you can add another 7 percent to the bottom line. ;-)
a 40% power increase fer sure!!! Who needs porting! Lol....

WoW! What a great list of info. I am going to print that out.

$55 spark plugs?! And to think I yelped at $7...

I always end up with yellow tips on my plugs.... All that leaded race gas I use.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Since I'm changing the spark plugs on the Stihl Chainsaws I thought this was appropriate.

zap

Good stuff!

Pic 4744 is the plug from the 660 and pic 4745 is the plug from the 390.

The spark plug in the 310 was new,the plug from the 390 is the one on the right in picture 4742 and the 660 plug was horrible. Mixing 50-1, the 660 plug was in for all the milling. Is the 660 plug dry & wet fouling or running hot?

zap

Attachments

• 100_4742.jpg
    100_4742.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 522
  • 100_4744.jpg
    100_4744.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_4745.jpg
    100_4745.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 551
That 660 plug looks like it is being run a little rich, leading to dry fouling. I am assuming you keep it running at high throttle, being you are milling with it. When you adjust your high throttle screw, is that being done with the air filter cleaned out and installed on the saw? Sometimes a clogged up air filter can cause your plug to get like that too! Looking at that plug that's what I would say is going on. Just a hair too rich...hold 'er at full throttle, tune the high screw down a little and that should clear it up...

I posted that my mixture was 50-1, but when I stopped by our local Stihl dealer in late fall he mentioned I would be better off mixing 40-1 so I had about 4 gallons mixed that way, would that cause that?

zap

zapny said:
I posted that my mixture was 50-1, but when I stopped by our local Stihl dealer in late fall he mentioned I would be better off mixing 40-1 so I had about 4 gallons mixed that way, would that cause that?

zap
That could lead to that, absolutely. When you adjust your oil/fuel ratio, or even changing from one octane to another (or from pump gas to AvGas) you will need to tune your saw to run with the changed mix.

I'l go back to 50-1 then just check the plug every so often. The plug I took out of the 660 Stihl was a NGK R BPMR7A, the plug they sold me is a Bosch R 10, is there a conversion chart out there.

zap

zapny said:
I'l go back to 50-1 then just check the plug every so often. The plug I took out of the 660 Stihl was a NGK R BPMR7A, the plug they sold me is a Bosch R 10, is there a conversion chart out there.

zap
You CAN reuse your plugs, if you clean them properly (media blast), but you need to do it right. As for the plugs, NGK's are decent plugs but I pick Bosch HANDS-DOWN. That's all I use in my saws, period. As for your mix, I personally would run it at the 40:1, your saw will last longer. Just tune your high idle screw down to where the saw "flutters" a little at full throttle. Take it to a saw shop if you have to, trust me it's easy to do. Google it, maybe you can see how it is done on the 'net. Let me know how you make out. If I was closer I'd tune it for ya, bud.......

Scotty Overkill said:
zapny said:

zap
You CAN reuse your plugs, if you clean them properly (media blast), but you need to do it right. As for the plugs, NGK's are decent plugs but I pick Bosch HANDS-DOWN. That's all I use in my saws, period. As for your mix, I personally would run it at the 40:1, your saw will last longer. Just tune your high idle screw down to where the saw "flutters" a little at full throttle. Take it to a saw shop if you have to, trust me it's easy to do. Google it, maybe you can see how it is done on the 'net. Let me know how you make out. If I was closer I'd tune it for ya, bud.......

I'm close, when do I get my tuneup? LOL

Hogwildz said:
Scotty Overkill said:
zapny said:

zap

Bring 'er on over and we'll tune it up bro. Heck, while we're at it, we'll clearcut some of the mountain behind the house!! ;-)

I'm curious what the plugs from saws running AvGas look like... Anybody got a pic?

MasterMech said:
I'm curious what the plugs from saws running AvGas look like... Anybody got a pic?
I've taken pics in the past but don't have any handy right now. They stay pretty darn clean on AvGas which is all I run in all my 2 cycle hand held stuff. I also run it in my Farmall H that has 225 lbs cranking compression. They stay spotless clean in that machine. I would say they have more of a bone color than tan like pump gas.

Scotty Overkill said:
Hogwildz said:
Scotty Overkill said:
zapny said:

zap

Bring 'er on over and we'll tune it up bro. Heck, while we're at it, we'll clearcut some of the mountain behind the house!! ;-)

You gimme the directions, I'll be there.

Hogwildz said:
You gimme the directions, I'll be there.
I'm between State College and Altoona. My one buddy used to work at the Nuke Plant up there in Berwick!!

I generally don't worry too much about plug condition on small engines. It's seldom I pull out plugs that are "normal". The little engines are run hard and the carbs are simple and crude compared to even a 30 year old car's carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.