Reading list

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamestead

Feeling the Heat
Nov 9, 2011
Windsor County, Vermont
From what I've read here, a number of people are managing their own woodlots. With that in mind, I wanted to share a few books that I keep returning to:

Working with your woodland, a landowner's guide. Revised Edition. 1993. Beattie, Thompson, and Levine.
This is the main book; several more recent books offer rephrased versions of this reference, but the detail is here.

Introduction to forest ecology and silviculture. Second Edition. 2000. McEvoy
This is a smaller, more digestible version, that works well with the book above. For some reason I found his examples easier the first time around, and made re-reading sections of the land owners guide easier.

More than a woodlot, getting the most from your family forest. 2012. Long, with Barlow, Post, Snyder, Thompson, and Wooster.
This is a new addition, and addresses those who own forest for reasons other than strictly profit. The above books address this viewpoint, but this book is built on this perspective. I have benefited from knowing and reading some of these authors over the years, and Long does a nice job of pulling their writing assignments into a structure that flows.

The Tree. 2005. Tudge.
I read this book when it first came out, and had to work at it (it borders on encyclopedic). Now I come back to it for bits and pieces, and am thinking it will be tackled again this winter.

The myth of progress: toward a sustainable future. 2006. Wessels.
This is getting further afield, but one of the better written books I've read, and has helped me enjoy my woodland more.

Northern Woodlands magazine. A high quality, quarterly magazine that ranges from forestry to ecology, often taking me deep into topics I hadn't considered before. You can find some of the magazine online.

Reactions: albert1029
I have a copy of (Working with your woodlot,a landowners guide) and I too find myself returning to it time to time

Woodlot Management by Bruno Wiskel is another favorite.

For those with a small woodlot with primarily firewood concerns such as myself may find it worthwhile to do an internet search on coppicing and pollarding methods

If you are completely bored or just like history there is "A Forest Journey"by John Perlin which doesn't tell you how to manage your woodlot but rather how the Europeans deforested there land and then came to America an did the same thing.Covers a time period from early civilization to the late 1800's

Is More Than A Woodlot specific only to your area? It doesn't seem to be widely available.

Is More Than A Woodlot specific only to your area? It doesn't seem to be widely available.

It is published by Northern Woodlands (http://www.northernwoodlands.org). It has a Northeastern bent (land use taxes, etc), but probably 80% or more of it is quite generic. I think you can order it through their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.