Reading Swatara? Any Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mkinsley

Mar 2, 2014
I was thinking of buying a reading swatara. However there is like zero information on them as far as user reviews. Its almost like I am buying the first one? Except I am looking at a used one. So its an 85k btu handfired coal stove that is on a steel pedistle and has a cast iron fire box on top. I have a Vermont castings resolute with a coal kit that I found out is way too small. only 38k btu. (yeah dumb move) I am looking to heat about 1800 square feet with mostly 9 foot ceilings. 85000 btu is the least I would want to go. (learned that lesson the hard way) every morning for the first week...... So anyone use a Reading stove with a cast iron top? I am on the fence between this and a Harman mark III. I know the overwhelming response will be for the Harman. But is there a deficiency with the Reading any one knows about? The price on the reading one year old is pretty great. Almost to the point you could buy it just to try it and then buy the new Harman. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.