Ready for 10/11... on to 11/12 and beyond :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Finally got the last of the wood for next year stacked in my 'ready to burn' pile. I think it is earlier than I did last year - not sure though. But it sure looks nice to me all sitting there next to the driveway waiting for the cold. About 4 cords (maybe a tad more) in one large cube. I'll have to post pictures of course.

Even got some progress in re-cutting and stacking some of the 11/12 wood. I have a cord or so of oak that was split and cut too large for my stove - it is just over a year old now since I got it (already split). So I started cutting 3-5" off the ends that needed it and stacking it all in nicer rows so it will dry faster over the next year or so. This will be the 'best' wood for my 11/12 season (well, and whatever doesn't get burned this winter). Then I'll have the wood I split over this winter to re-stack (away from the house/deck). So far it seems to have been drying quite well, but it is oak so even at a year old it still feels quite heavy (especially compared to that 2-3 year old apple I had just moved).

I had to finish the 10/11 stack to make space to stack oak I'm re-processing now. Then I'll be moving the wood under the deck up to where this oak is currently stacked... The joys of living on a small plot of land - having to move wood around more. Sometimes I feel like it is a giant version of one of those tile puzzles where you have to slide the tiles in the frame to unscramble the picture, only the tiles are large piles of wood that weigh a ton...

I'm also changing my stacking style to allow more space between rows in hopes it will let the wood dry faster... rather I suppose I'm creating rows for the first time. Previously I stacked on the pallets filling the whole pallet surface area and building up in columns. This means that everything will take up even more space so I'm not sure how long I can keep it up, I can't stack as high this way (was going up 6-7' on my pallet stacks since they were solid cubes). I'm hoping that I can put another row of pallets in front of the row on my property line and not get too much resistance from my wife for eating into the yard. I expect I'll have to put my 12/13 wood back in the 'woods' behind the house which is going to be a serious pain given the terrain and won't get any sun, but we'll see how it goes. I have quite a few hours of work to do before I get there (and some more gathering perhaps). No point in stressing about it now - most of that wood is in a heap of partially split (planked?) pieces at the end of my driveway which is actually getting a lot of sun and seems to be drying quite nicely. I just have to get it moved before the winter 'no street parking' ban hits and I need the spot for the truck.

Anyway, just felt like sharing - I'm making progress and enjoying the process. Was a nice way to spend a few hours on Sunday AM.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Seriously, I know what you mean- why do I enjoy working on the wood so much, even on weekends? But I do.

Slow1 said:
Finally got the last of the wood for next year stacked in my 'ready to burn' pile. I think it is earlier than I did last year - not sure though. But it sure looks nice to me all sitting there next to the driveway waiting for the cold. About 4 cords (maybe a tad more) in one large cube. I'll have to post pictures of course.

Even got some progress in re-cutting and stacking some of the 11/12 wood. I have a cord or so of oak that was split and cut too large for my stove - it is just over a year old now since I got it (already split). So I started cutting 3-5" off the ends that needed it and stacking it all in nicer rows so it will dry faster over the next year or so. This will be the 'best' wood for my 11/12 season (well, and whatever doesn't get burned this winter). Then I'll have the wood I split over this winter to re-stack (away from the house/deck). So far it seems to have been drying quite well, but it is oak so even at a year old it still feels quite heavy (especially compared to that 2-3 year old apple I had just moved).

I had to finish the 10/11 stack to make space to stack oak I'm re-processing now. Then I'll be moving the wood under the deck up to where this oak is currently stacked... The joys of living on a small plot of land - having to move wood around more. Sometimes I feel like it is a giant version of one of those tile puzzles where you have to slide the tiles in the frame to unscramble the picture, only the tiles are large piles of wood that weigh a ton...

I'm also changing my stacking style to allow more space between rows in hopes it will let the wood dry faster... rather I suppose I'm creating rows for the first time. Previously I stacked on the pallets filling the whole pallet surface area and building up in columns. This means that everything will take up even more space so I'm not sure how long I can keep it up, I can't stack as high this way (was going up 6-7' on my pallet stacks since they were solid cubes). I'm hoping that I can put another row of pallets in front of the row on my property line and not get too much resistance from my wife for eating into the yard. I expect I'll have to put my 12/13 wood back in the 'woods' behind the house which is going to be a serious pain given the terrain and won't get any sun, but we'll see how it goes. I have quite a few hours of work to do before I get there (and some more gathering perhaps). No point in stressing about it now - most of that wood is in a heap of partially split (planked?) pieces at the end of my driveway which is actually getting a lot of sun and seems to be drying quite nicely. I just have to get it moved before the winter 'no street parking' ban hits and I need the spot for the truck.

Anyway, just felt like sharing - I'm making progress and enjoying the process. Was a nice way to spend a few hours on Sunday AM.

Sounds well planned. Where in Eastern Mass are you? I'm in Middleboro. Another guy here is in Carver.

Slow1 said:

Slow1 good job, that progress and process equals btu's and I'm sure the wife will like that.

zap

Ok - here are some pictures. I've had some time to get more work done. I sorted the rest of the short pieces out of the 1year oak and got it stacked, I have a jumbled mess of pieces to cut down to size (you can see those against the stack of pine - another stack that is too long, arg. Had to cut up the pictures...

Here are pictures of the old jumble of wood (sorted) and the new stacks...

Attachments

• CIMG1171.jpg
    CIMG1171.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 361
  • CIMG1173.jpg
    CIMG1173.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 337
Had to split into multiple posts...

Here is the "cube" of ready to burn for next winter. Not much additional drying going on inside I'm sure, but it doesn't get very wet in the middle either surprisingly. I would like to figure out how to put a nice cover on the top (other than a tarp) without it being a "shed" - this is very visible from the road and right on the property line so it has to be very neat etc.

Attachments

• CIMG1175.jpg
    CIMG1175.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 351
  • CIMG1176.jpg
    CIMG1176.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 336
And my pile under the deck - waiting to be moved. Measures out to be slightly over 2 cords...

Attachments

• CIMG1181.jpg
    CIMG1181.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 335
Finally - the newest addition to my supply. Wood that hopefully will be my 12/13 burn. 2+ cord (took 6 trips in my 150 to move in the semi-split state) of fresh oak with a bit of apple(?) mixed in. As you can see I've been working this pile in place for a few weeks (30-45 minutes at a time after kids are in bed). I just put splits on the back side or stacked on the edge as I don't really have anywhere to stack them yet. Not the most efficient way to work the pile but it is at least drying out. Interesting thing though, it is amazing how much the pile shrinks as I split and re-pile the smaller splits. Density must be growing - less air space... I wonder if I'll be down to 1 cord by time I'm done :( Ha!

You can see some misc wood and rounds behind it that I've gathered and just not had time yet to process. Once I do get it split it will go into whatever year's wood is farthest out I suppose... i.e. start the timer at time it is split. Did I mention that having a goal of being 2+ years ahead is a lot of work? Man I wish I was only processing the 3 cords I burned last winter right now instead of trying to do 7+.

Attachments

• CIMG1178.jpg
    CIMG1178.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 345
  • CIMG1177.jpg
    CIMG1177.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 328
You have been working!

Oh - and one last shot. Since I mentioned my pallet stacking... here is a picture of one pallet stacked to the max... note it is on a slope and yes it does have a lean to it, but it is solid enough that you would have to seriously run into it to get it to budge (I've tried). That is the benefit to stacking this way in my opinion, I can make for a VERY stable pile that won't fall until I start taking it apart (then if it has been up for a while and dried it can get interesting. I figure this one has about 1/2 - 2/3 of a cord in it but I didn't take an accurate measure yet (it is wider on top than bottom to make matters more interesting.

Attachments

• CIMG1168.jpg
    CIMG1168.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 336
Great work! You're starting to show some results. I still have a lot of splitting ahead of me.

I find that I also 'have to' move wood around a lot, as you mentioned in your original post.
Just seems to work out that way, somehow.

It sure looks like you would benefit from having a wood shed. I know I would. Remains to be seen if and when I get one built this year. I have accumulated more than enough 2by dimensional lumber to frame one with. I still need roofing materials, however. In the meantime, I go with low stacks, 4ft high or less, and I do cover with tarps (top of piles only).

Very nice work Slow1, I wish I had that kind of progress made.

Good to see another local on the forum, we should all get together for a "woodfest" or something!

Slow1, great job, and what a great feeling to be ahead of the game. This year has been my year to take it a little easier, but only after I got about 2 1/2 years ahead.

Slow1 said:

Here is the "cube" of ready to burn for next winter. Not much additional drying going on inside I'm sure, but it doesn't get very wet in the middle either surprisingly. I would like to figure out how to put a nice cover on the top (other than a tarp) without it being a "shed" - this is very visible from the road and right on the property line so it has to be very neat etc.

Slow1 looks good, do any of your neighbors burn wood?

zap

zapny said:
Slow1 said:

zap

Not any of my close neighbors. However someone somewhere must - perhaps a fireplace? I smell smoke sometimes (and it isn't mine!) in the winter. It is someone to the NW of me as that is where the wind has to be blowing from.

I've managed to keep good relations with my immediate neighbors somehow - I keep things as neat and clean as possible. I think the efforts have paid off. They think I'm crazy when I come home with another load, but we laugh together at least.

Slow1 said:
zapny said:
Slow1 said:

zap

Not any of my close neighbors. However someone somewhere must - perhaps a fireplace? I smell smoke sometimes (and it isn't mine!) in the winter. It is someone to the NW of me as that is where the wind has to be blowing from.

I've managed to keep good relations with my immediate neighbors somehow - I keep things as neat and clean as possible. I think the efforts have paid off. They think I'm crazy when I come home with another load, but we laugh together at least.

I plow my neighbors driveways and they have gave me several cords of wood its all good...One neighbors brought me a crap ton of wood for stickers for stacking lumber...

Status
Not open for further replies.