Ready for Grilling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Was at Outdoor World on Sunday and they had this camping grill on sale.($26.99) It fits perfectly in my fireplace, so, I won't have to use my make-shift grill rack anymore. Can't wait to try it out this weekend. (Cedar plank salmon). You can see the other use of my fireplace when we are not cooking.

Attachments

• DSC05008.jpg
    DSC05008.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 632
  • DSC05011.jpg
    DSC05011.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 630
  • DSC04912.jpg
    DSC04912.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 641
Im drooling :cheese:
Bet it will work awesome!

:sick: Green with envy and oooooooozing w/ jealousy.

pen

Nothing finer than grillled salmon on cedar planks. I'm sure you know this already... make sure your planks are saturated with water before grilling! What time would you like us over for dinner? :)

Keep a CO detector handy. 'Grilling' doesn't generate the heat a full blown fireplace fire does, so you may have low draft or even a flue reversal. The last thing you want is to take a nap with a belly full of salmon and never wake up.

Thanks for the tip. In the past I have built a regular fire, let the logs burn down and let the embers start the little splits I use to grill. This has worked well so far.

jlow said:
Thanks for the tip. In the past I have built a regular fire, let the logs burn down and let the embers start the little splits I use to grill. This has worked well so far.

This works just fine with no smoke or CO issues. Unfortunately I lost my fireplace when my Castine was inserted in it. I used to love letting the fire burn down and then throwing some steaks on it. When the steaks came off, the wood went back on.

That's an awesome setup! Salmon in the fireplace, soapstone warming the house. What's not to like?

First salmon with the new grill. Tasted great and smelled even better!!!

Attachments

• DSC05022.jpg
    DSC05022.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC05016.jpg
    DSC05016.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC05014.jpg
    DSC05014.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 478
Yummm. Life is good.

just awesome as is your outdoor oven - very nice indeed

Thanks for the kind words. So today in honor of the first day of deer hunting here in MI., we grilled venison steaks.

Attachments

• DSC05037.jpg
    DSC05037.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC05040.jpg
    DSC05040.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC05042.jpg
    DSC05042.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 379
Man that looks good, great idea, I'm going to have to try something like that in my fireplace.

jlow said:
First salmon with the new grill. Tasted great and smelled even better!!!

I hate you! :cheese:

white_44_comp.gif

This is what I thought of immediately when I saw your fish. Anyone care for a history lesson?: this was one of the paintings done by John White, one of the adventurers who settled the ill-fated Roanoke colony in 1585-86 on the outer banks of North Carolina. White's granddaughter, Virginia Dare, was the first English baby born in the new world. White was one of the folks that left and came back to find the rest of the settlers vanished. Nobody has ever found out what happened to them, but it's been considered that they lived with some of the indigenous people. White's paintings of the "Virginia" indians are some of the best documentation of those people who were all but wiped out pretty early on in European settlement. The Virginia and North Carolina tribes are still fighting for federal recognition.

Grilling must have been tough on those wood sticks! :)
I recently read some other interesting stories about early American settlement, and I'm amazed at the things we never learned in "American history." I find it all quite fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.