Ready for next Winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamisou

Feb 9, 2012
NE CT
f500.jpgf500 front.jpg

Reactions: tfdchief
Congrats!!! Looks like you are off to a great start.

Nice. Is that a log cabin the stove will be in? If so, your walls look just like the ones in our cabin. We heat with the Oslo too so we have a lot in common.. great set-up and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do ours.

Sweet! How much wood is that?

Nice lookin' unit you got there! And a nice pile of wood split and stacked already! You're well on your way!!

Now thats a man with a plan. Add your stove and what nots to your signature line.

You have the right idea ! It always helps to be ahead from the start especially with a beautiful stove like that :rolleyes:. Good Job and happy heating!

Pete

i thought this thread was going to be ready for next winter because its 75 degrees out today. lol looks good though. and im ready for next winter already as well.

Thank you, thank you! My home is a log cabin, and the stove is a brang new Jotul F500 Oslo that I purchased "used" off a gentleman who never got around to installing it. NEVER HAD A FIRE IN IT. Showroom condition for half the price of new!

Next is the install!

Very very nice congratulations ! That looks like an awesome spot for it too.

Pete

Very beautiful place you have there. Reminds of the cabin we stayed in a couple years ago in the Smokey Mnts.
Good job on getting that wood ready now for the winter. So much better to know you have dry wood of your own than trying to find something worth while to use.

Yep, same walls and look as mine... even the old whiskey jug and hairy helper. lol. I ran the pipe up our cathedral ceiling too. My dormer windows are on the otherside of the house though.
stove1.JPG
house2.JPG

I love that cabin. >>

Beautiful man. Beautiful. Nice stove, nice wood piles. How close to the wall can you put that stove? Does it need to be 18" away? Or are you going to build a stone hearth or a heat shield of some kind under and behind? Like that hearth Logger. Nice homes guys.

Living the dream! That is beautiful.

I plan on putting some kind of stone down and against the wall while still being 18'' from the wall so I can use single wall pipe for more heat less $

Gamisou,
What I did was screw some thick plywood into the wall, nailed some steal screen mesh to it, then put on a scratch coat of mortar. Once that dried, I put the stones up using the same mortar. Relatively cheap and easy. I don't recommend putting the stones directly on your logs, as you might want to move the stove, sell the house, re-do the hearth, etc. one day. Whatever route you choose, best of luck.. looks great. You'll love the heat the Oslo puts out.

Depending on the type of stone you choose and how big their back surface area is, here's some more advice that may work for you. When you put the mortar on the back of the stone, do not spread it over the entire back of the stone. Rather, leave a small space in the middle of the stone just the way it is and just put a thick layer of mortar around the edges. Done this way, when the mortar dries it creates a suction to the scratch coat wall so you're not stuck holding the stones in place to dry as long and it gives it a much stronger hold. Sorry in advance if you already knew this.

Status
Not open for further replies.