Ready for Polish?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Restoregirl

Nov 7, 2012
I'm attempting to restore a Fatso wood heater/stove. This was in an old family barn so some parts are more rusty than others. I'd like to polish the cast iron after it's cleaned up to seal it a bit, and use this old heater on our back porch. I recently purchased Imperial Stove Polish Paste, and wondered if anyone has experience with it? Also, here are a few parts I've scrubbed rust off of. How "rust free" do they need to be before polishing? I'm brand new to all of this, so any information is appreciated. Thanks!
part1.jpgpart2.jpgpart3.jpg

spray paint leaves a nicer finish in my experience, Stove Bright is popular.

you can cover a bit of rust, but it is best to remove it all for a longer paint life.

I kept my VC parlor stove nice for years by dusting with a t-shirt rag with a tiny bit of bacon grease weekly. ( no smoke, if you are careful to just use a little tiny bit of grease) I'd use stove polish only once a year. If there's rust, use a "scrubbie pad" and go to town with it. It will look ugly after you are finished, but then put the polish on, and it will look good as new. You may have to put two applications of polish on. I buy my stove polish from Atwoods, but I don't remember the brand name.Here's our old stove:

Attachments

• stove2.jpg
    stove2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 302
Status
Not open for further replies.