Ready for winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
I know it goes against conventional wisdom here for most to keep firewood indoors but the cord I brought inside last winter made it so nice when all I needed to do was walk downstairs for an arm load. Yesterday I just finished stacking a true 4 cord or under 20% moisture firewood in my unfinished basement and "give or take" a lil this should get me through from my best calculations based on last winters consumption. I say "true cord" because I am discovering the value of being many years ahead. When I stacked this stuff outside it was closer to 5 cord but a couple years in the wind and sun shrunk it down a bit(and lightened the load). Much easier to move seasoned firewood!! Made a big gash in my stacks too - so I have room to add this years CSS come January when my gathering season begins. I also was able to verify for myself that given enough time I do not need to stack in single rows to get the moisture down. After two years there is little to no difference in the MC of my splits no matter where they came from in my stacks. This all came from a section that is 4-5 tight rows deep and 65' long and average 15-18%. Mostly ash and some cherry.

This side of my basement is my knife finishing shop(out of view in the photo) but still available when I get back to the forge. Backing my trailer up to the door wall make this a simple transition.

Attachments

• firewood (4).JPG
    firewood (4).JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 188
Very nice! Did you see many ants/spiders last year? That's my only concern when bringing that much wood inside.

Very nice! Did you see many ants/spiders last year? That's my only concern when bringing that much wood inside.
Especially this early in the year.

How about stackin just outside that basement window above your wood,thats what i do and its very easy to open the window to get a few splits. Im sure you can find a better use for your inside space than stackin wood.

Is your basement dry, Bob? I know that, no matter how hard I try, my basement has some humidity...which leads to mold all over the wood, no matter how seasoned it is.

I generally wait til the weather his freezing to haul wood into the basement. I'll make a 1 1/2 cord stack right out the back door of the house that I pic from until the weather gets cold. Keeps all the spideys and other critters at bay until the cold sets in.....

I have a walk out so unless it is really humid the basement remains rather dry. I did think it may be a little early but I wanted to get it all done prior to the opener of bow season and it has been so perfectly nice as far as weather here that working has been a joy. I just hauled 1-2 trailer loads a day for a few days and got er' done. Once I have my longbows and recurves strung there is little that finds my spare time beyond hunting.

Ants - NO and I did throw a few punky pieces into the fire pit where I was burning the bark and scraps just to do my best to keep them at bay but really not super concerned. Last year I had no problem with the same plan and less wood so I am giving it a run. If I end up with spiders or what not I will re-think my process next fall. I have considered stacking under the deck right outside the door wall/slider but the convenience of it being indoors is so nice and space is not an issue for me at all. Just me and a dog with wayyyy more house than we need. No space effect on my knife finishing shop area, archery den or laundry room - just a corner full of wood.

I did my best to accurately measure the stored wood so that I will have a really good handle on my consumption after this season - especially considering the shrinkage of seasoned splits.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that about the dryness of the wood Bob. I've been telling folks that it will dry in multiple rows but it seems most are afraid of it. Of course those who have only a year's supply will rightly be afraid of it but if you keep ahead on the wood piles as you should, there is no problem.

Good luck this season! Archery opener is very soon now.

Our dead of winter supply will be stocked into the basement around thanksgiving.

If we're expecting a great deal of snow(ha ha) I will stack a few days worth in the basement. Just in case we get snowed in.;)

Spiders were TERRIBLE by me this year (mainly big garden spiders) just keep an eye out ;)

I have always put a full winter's supply of wood indoors. I spray every layer with a garden sprayer and an insecacide. Never had any bug problems since I 've been spraying, I use about one 3 gallon garden sprayer full on 4 cord. I mix in about 1/2 insecticide for the 3gal. The heat pump water heater dries out wood really fast, I'm generally in the 18-20% in the fall and in the low teens by the spring after being in the boiler room all winter. The thought of frozen and snow-covered wood just seems strange to me. I'm on a slab though so high humidity basements are not a problem here.

A damp basement is about the worst place to put one's wood supply.

TS

Ha - the week after I get all my wood inside and tell you'all my basement is dry we had the two most humid days of the year. Probably not an issue but the jokes on me if I run into mold issues. Cold front moving in with drier air today and tomorrow so I do not think it will be a problem going forward but the Dehumidifier is running down there all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.