Ready to go with the c450 kennebec

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyjr

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
Central Ohio
Does anyone know if the Jotul Kennebec can be used with the doors open like a fireplace? I know that they do not seem to list a fire screen but I am a welder and think it would be easy to fabricate one. The wife says that it would be nice to be able to occasionally have a smaller fire with the doors open when you did not need the heat. It seems that the only issue would be with not drawing properly.
Also would like to know if there is anything to look out for when purchasing stainless flexible chimney liner kits. HVAC friend says his supply house carries 25' 6" dia kits for $325.00 . Seems to be a good price from what I have seen as long as it is the correct thing to use. I believe it is made by Flex-l and is called Stayflex. Any info appreciated.

Rudyjr said:
Does anyone know if the Jotul Kennebec can be used with the doors open like a fireplace? I know that they do not seem to list a fire screen but I am a welder and think it would be easy to fabricate one. The wife says that it would be nice to be able to occasionally have a smaller fire with the doors open when you did not need the heat. It seems that the only issue would be with not drawing properly.

The manual doesn't permit using it with the doors open - leaving them open doesn't allow the secondaries to run, and they wouldn't get EPA approval if they allowed it in the manual. That said, it doesn't mean it won't work, if the set up is ideal.

My setup on the Kennebec isn't ideal, and I would smoke myself out of the house if I let the doors open. I find that the stove really wants good draft to work well - any damp wood or other draft reducing factors, and I have to be careful.

On the liner question, based on my experience with this stove, I would insulate the liner all the way to the top of the chimney. This would set you up for success. Lots of liners available, but I prefer the Simpson pre insulated double walled type. Looking for a source here in Nova Scotia, but not having any luck - you will likely have better luck than I in finding it. Don't cheap out on flex without insulation unless you truly must, but given that you bought / are considering buying the Jotul, cheap isn't your goal. I would select a less costly insert before I cut out insulating my liner, and would use rigid unless I needed the flex advantage in lining the flue.

I too would have smoke problems inside the house if I tried burning with the doors open. As you'll see, this stove simply is not designed to be used for an open fire.

This is a basement rec room fireplace with a fireplace above it in the living room. It is not a straight shot at all so I think 6" flex is the only way to go. I also dont think that it is going to be able to be insulated due to the lack of space in spots. I do plan to install a home made galvanized block off plate at the damper. I realize that the new stoves are not meant to be burnt with the doors open due to the new epa regs but was curious as to wether anyone had tried it. May give it shot however just to see. Thanks for the info.

I installed the Jotul 550 with a un-insulated 25' length of SS flex. My flue was too tight for insulation (it was a tight fit without!). I could not be happier with the draft or the stove's performance. Insulated liner, is in most cases, a nice to have but not a must have. Most people with stoves where I live do "slammer" installations...

Enjoy your stove.

I see the reasoning behind the flex but the insulation in a lot of cases would be virtually impossible. My chimney snakes it's way around the upstairs firelace. I can see pulling the liner through it but I would think you would destroy the insulaion in the process. I will seal the cap at the top and install a blocking plate in the damper.

carl spackler said:
Insulated liner, is in most cases, a nice to have but not a must have.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I seriously doubt that many with masonary flues have any idea how a properly built brick chimney is to be built.

carl spackler, please don't take this post personally, as you are likely one of the many who have been mislead and under informed. I have unfortunately had to take this issue on in my own home, and only after getting regulatory bodies involved, was I able to educate my certified installer. I am still waiting for him to get here and fix it.

A masonary flue that is lined without any insulation requires that the flue and liner have constant air gaps all the way from top to bottom, with provisions for firestop at floor and ceiling penetrations. These firestops need to be made of noncombustibles. If you don't have the required airspace (1 or 2 inches, depending on the specifics of the chimney), then your chimney doesn't meet safety requirements. Lining it doesn't change that, what changes it is insulating the liner.

Here is why - flue gases regularly reach 1200F. That means that in a 24/7 burning situation, your brick will reach really high temps. High enough in fact to, over time (weeks to a few years), cause pyrolysis (the process that creates charcoal) to occur in any wood framing etc that is to close to the flue. Insulating the liner helps isolate the heat from the surrounding brick, in turn isolating the wood outside the chimney.

What really kills me is that the same folks who flail at the thought of cutting corners on clearances around the stove or floor protection in front of the hearth don't even give a second thought to the risks associated with an uninsulated liner in a brick flue.

When you install a liner, unless you had a video scope done of the brick structure, you have NO IDEA what the brick is like, or even if bricks are missing. As well, most brick flues in North America were built to deal with oil furnaces - these have way lower temps, and a completley diffferent set of requirements when built. Installing a liner in a brick flue built for an oil appliance does not make it safe for burning solid fuels like wood.

From the Chimney Safety Institute of America, Six best practices for liner intallation

5. Insulate liners except in special circumstances.

The one key principle that applies to the question of insulating stainless steel liners is this: The only circumstance in which insulation is not required by the terms of the product listing is if the clearances of the existing chimney comply in all respects to the requirements of the NFPA 211 solid fuel installation code, or the building code enforced locally. Ideally, all masonry chimneys would comply with the simple clearance rules in the code, but most experts agree that the majority of masonry chimneys do not have sufficient clearance to combustible materials. Furthermore, a thorough inspection of a masonry chimney to confirm beyond doubt that it has adequate clearances can be a difficult and time-consuming job, depending on whether access to inspect clearances is straightforward or requires the removal of enclosures. Considering the challenges inherent in determining code compliance of an existing masonry chimney, the installer should assume that insulation is required around the liner if adequate clearances cannot be determined anywhere along the chimney’s length.

Even if clearances comply with the code there are other good reasons to insulate. Insulation around the liner reduces heat loss from the flue gases to the surrounding masonry. Natural draft is produced by the temperature difference between the flue gases and the outdoor air – the greater the temperature difference, the stronger the draft. Stainless steel liners have little mass and when they are backed up by insulation they heat up quickly and absorb a relatively small amount of heat from the flue gases. Therefore, the average flue gas temperature in an insulated stainless steel flue rises fast when a fire is started, meaning that fires kindle rapidly and smolder less. Strong natural draft also reduces smoke rollout when the stove, furnace or fireplace door is opened for reloading. Since both wood smoke and water vapor condense on cool surfaces, keeping the flue liner hot is a good way to reduce both creosote deposits and water damage in the form of staining and freeze-thaw deterioration. The use of insulation around chimney liners is an effective strategy for reducing maintenance costs and extending the life of the masonry chimney. For safety and performance reasons, chimney experts recommend that all liner installations include the insulation specified by the liner manufacturer.

You both make valid points. I believe after getting input from a chimney sweep that used a camera on the chimney and a good friend in the HVAC field that I am going to be better off pulling in an un-insulated liner. This fireplace has a well built, lined chimney already but it makes some wild turns to get around the upstairs fireplace.

Glad to hear about the camera check. Given the clay tiles are staying in the chimney, I would likely do the same. You might consider investing in a brush now, and have your installer give you a lesson in sweeping when he installs it. Lots of folks come on here a month after the install and complain about smoke in the room. Seems we all make a few mistakes with a new install and cause some creosote buildup. I'm sure I'll be in the same boat soon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.