Reaffirmed why I love my stove - Control!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I just had a flashback to my first year burning tonight. Here I was happily reading hearth.com enjoying the heat from the stove on my back when I realized two things - first far more time had gone by than I planned (gee that only happens to me, right?) and second, I was not just warm, but getting rather hot. Hmmm... turned and looked at the stove to see a very lively fire - far more than I expected. Looked at the stovetop thermometer and it was right at the red-line (650), pipe temp over 300 (my mental "cat is going to keep rising" temp) - sure enough, I forgot to make the final air adjustment after closing the cat. Oops! So, I immediately slapped the air down to about 3/4 from where it was (somewhere above 1 - maybe 1.5?) and watched the flames darken... About 10 minutes later the pipe temp was falling and the stove top was just a hair down, problem solved - time to go to bed... well had to share first.

So, what was the flashback? Well - my first year burning I had a sort of related experience with some key differences. First it was a totally different stove. Then replace the error in adjusting air with "everything was set just the way it was supposed to be set, but somehow it just took off", and the "stove top temp was near redline" with "over the top and back of stove was glowing". Then it went downhill from there with me shutting air down all the way to no effect, getting on hearth.com for help in a panic as temps kept going up, rigging a piece of foil to cover the air intake, then watching the glow slowly go down, carefully removing the foil half way and wondering if it would be safe to go to bed that night or if it was going to take off again....

I like this stove so much better... control you can count on is priceless eh?

Oh in case you are curious, it has now been 20+ minutes since I adjusted the air and the cat is still glowing, fire is nice lazy on top of coals, surface temp just a tad over 600 and the pipe reading 200 (surface mount on single wall about 2' above the 90* bend up). Kitchen is reading 73* which is about 3* warmer than we aim for - oh well, such is life.

+ 1, same way I feel about the Progress. I've been very worried about having a runaway, but so far it has always responded to my adjustments. And, you are right, it IS priceless!

Slow 1,
I digest every thread That I can find about Woodstock Stoves and the one of my choice the Fireview in particular. Just added your comments to my satisfied customer list! Have you found their customer service as good as others have?
Tim

timusp40 said:
Slow 1,
I digest every thread That I can find about Woodstock Stoves and the one of my choice the Fireview in particular. Just added your comments to my satisfied customer list! Have you found their customer service as good as others have?
Tim

Well, if you have read my other posts you likely know I've been totally sold on Woodstock as a stove company and place to buy a stove. I really have been happy with the Fireview. I was convinced based on reading posts here on hearth.com while I was struggling my first year burning trying to get my first stove to function properly - I did finally get that stove to burn reasonably well, but my wife couldn't/wouldn't touch it out of fear of problems. She is quite happy to feed the FV. I will be getting a PH most likely - depends on reduction of the side clearance (long story).

As to customer service - Pre-sales is absolutely amazing. Any/every question answered, no pressure to buy or rush to close the sale. They were happy to transpose my measurements from floor to pipe through wall minus hearth pad etc into the actual stove pipe needs etc so I would get the right (painted to match) stove pipe. Clearly no issues pre-sales.

After the stove was in place I had a few questions on operation. Most I found answers here, but I did call WS a couple times and again - I received good support with answers that were not "off a script"; rather personal to my install with questions where needed. I had one annoying issue with backpuffing. Turns out (long story shortened) that my issue was a weak draft. Solved with an extra 2' of chimney added to the top. They were helpful in troubleshooting this - never trying to push blame on me or anything like that, never just trying to push me off the phone. It amazes me how much time folks there will spend on the phone.

After 2 seasons I wasn't sure my cat was still working as well as it could (I likely abused it...), frankly it may have been fine but anyway, I called and was going to buy a new SS cat, instead they simply swapped it out under warranty. No hassle, I just had to cover shipping.

Most recently I have fired some questions to them regarding stalling out the cat - I have been burning very low this eternal shoulder season they call a winter this year. Had a email conversation discussing some smoke I have gotten and possible causes and potential remedies. Again - being treated as a reasonable person is good.

So overall I would rate the customer service experience as far better than most companies I have worked with. Face it, you just don't get personal service from actual people who know and care about what they are talking about very often anymore.

Right now I'm in the pre-sales phase of the PH purchase. I do have to admit the flow of information and sometimes conflicting statements that I have received has been frustrating. I think this is perhaps a product of the evolution of the new product and their desire to try and keep that personal touch. Holding back information in order to get a 'unified, consistent' message out is very difficult sometimes and may appear stand-offish which could turn some folks off. Tough balancing act. Anyway, I'm expecting that in the end it will all work out.

What worked for me with a near-overfire on my old stove was . . . to open the doors. Temps drop because you're sending so much room air up the chimney -- fire burns in campfire mode and your temps will drop.

+1 on the service, Tim. One time, I heard a phone ring in the background and said,"Well, I guess I should go now so you can take some more calls." They replied,"Don't worry. There are six of us working the phones. What else do you want to ask about?" About as pushy as the sale ever got was when I asked how long the current sale prices would be in effect. They gave a date and said,"You can put down a $250 deposit and lock in the current price. . .yep, it's 100% refundable, should you decide not to buy." I think I was actually stunned.

Slow 1,
Nice reply! Pretty much what most folks are saying about Woodstock.

About the PH. I agree that they are going to get it right. Heck it is a great combination of stove technologies. I'm thiking of it like a new car model hitting the market. There are always a few bugs to work out sooner or later. On the other hand, the Fireview has been out there for quite a while and you have to work hard to find dissatisfied owners. It is on my wish list for next season. Just gotta keep saving up the $$$$$$. In the meantime, I'll keep building stacks.
Tim

Well said Slow1. Tim, Slow1 and I have talked before and have also met each other (he has a wonderful family) at the Woodstock plant. Slow1 is a very knowledgeable person that would not lead anyone wrong on the stove or the company.

Tim, if you have pretty much decided on a Fireview, and if they are Indeed still priced @ the $1895 shown on the website, you would be smart to go ahead and put a deposit on one @ that price. The going rate for the past few years has been $2300-2400. If you are undecided between FV and PH, they might let your deposit apply to whichever one you end up deciding on. I dunno how long they'd hold a FV for you, but 1 or 2 folks posted that they are having their PH shipped next fall. I would call them and see what they can do for you. Also, they offer financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.