real dry oak wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those numbers are probably too low to be accurate. I’ve tested the pine framing of my 40 yr old house at about 11%. Unless you’re in the desert I don’t think wood can get dry naturally. Glad you have good dry wood though.

I'm sure those numbers are not accurate. Either the testing method is flawed or the instrument is out of calibration.

Wood will assume ambient moisture stored that way. For us, our wood in the shed after 2-3 yrs assumes about a 16% moisture level. 4-5% is below cabinet maker wood and flooring, both which must be exceptionally dry.

Did you split the wood in half and test on a freshly exposed face of wood at room temp?

Wood will assume ambient moisture stored that way. For us, our wood in the shed after 2-3 yrs assumes about a 16% moisture level. 4-5% is below cabinet maker wood and flooring, both which must be exceptionally dry.

Did you split the wood in half and test on a freshly exposed face of wood at room temp?
the wood is thick scrap klim dryed wood from furniture manufure

I'm sure those numbers are not accurate. Either the testing method is flawed or the instrument is out of calibration.
Could be that they control the humidity in a furniture plant, I don't know.