Real men play with unicorns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^Well OK thanks for the skinny...btw if you ever post some youtube of you operating that please direct my attention to it.

Yeah, I don't own one of them soul stealing video machines. I've never even owned a cell phone except what my work gives me to be used for "work" purposes.

Nice looking wood pile and tractor HB! It's hard to tell how much is there from the picture(s), what did you end up with in that long stack? How much are you burning a year?

That stack is 96 feet long, a double 18" wide so say 3, and then four feet high and ends up at 9 cords. I had an additional 3.5 cords of cottonwood, alder, and a little fir in a seperate stack.

Due to huge insulation upgrades at my 1700 SF home I went from 7 cords burnt last year to just under 4 this year. I have a fire burning right now since it was 37 outside this morning and 63 inside the house when we woke up. I will shoot to have 12 cords set up again this summer going into the fall.

We have a long burning season here in the cool NW. It's not as bitter cold as many areas but it is long.

Highbeam said:
I got the wood all split up. It took about 14 hours total of splitting and sucked up about 4 gallons of diesel. Plenty of breaks to rest. I hit one huge ants nest that totally dumped out milions of carpenter ants. Gross. I brought out the chickens which sat there and ate a million ants. Our eggs our going to taste fANTastic.

Those fence posts are 10 or 12 feet apart.

No injuries at all. Now for the stacking.

I am so jealous of the fact that you have your own chikens to clean up ants and then to top it off fresh eggs......so jealous!

]
Highbeam said:
I got the wood all split up. It took about 14 hours total of splitting and sucked up about 4 gallons of diesel. Plenty of breaks to rest. I hit one huge ants nest that totally dumped out milions of carpenter ants. Gross. I brought out the chickens which sat there and ate a million ants. Our eggs our going to taste fANTastic.

Those fence posts are 10 or 12 feet apart.

No injuries at all. Now for the stacking.

Do the eggs actually have a different taste depending on feed and feed quality?

No, the eggs have the same great taste year round. I was making a tasteless joke. I buy regular feed from a feed store for laying chickens which is supplemented by their forage since they spend most days out in the yard. Farm eggs taste different and smell different, the yolks are stiffer and stand taller when cracked into the pan so they are easier to flip without breaking the yoke. The shells are also noticeably harder to crack. We had to use some store eggs for some reason and were disappointed by the blah lack of flavor.

Chickens are super easy and cheap to keep in the backyard. They are a lot of fun to have around too except for the wonderful turds that they leave on the concrete.

You're welcome sandymiss. I have learned so much from so many.

Is it just me or do Sandymiss and Robert09 sound a bit like folks who aren't really here to learn and share info about woodburning?

firefighterjake said:
Is it just me or do Sandymiss and Robert09 sound a bit like folks who aren't really here to learn and share info about woodburning?

Possibly spammers whose sole goal is to get HB the "worlds most bumped post" award?

highbeam what r.p.m does the screw spin at off the p.t.o.? and is that speed optimal for splitting? thanx

The pto is the standard 540 rpm when the engine is at about 2600 RPM. I run the engine at about 1800 or half of "PTO 540" speed so I suspect 270RPM on the screw. It's really pretty quick compared to some of the screw splitters I've seen on youtube. I have another PTO setting that would allow 1000 PTO rpm at 2600 RPM but that would lug the engine too much. At 1800 rpm the engine sounds good, runs smooth, isn't loud, plenty of power, and fuel consumption is low. My machine is 30HP.

Some wood will only need to be slightly screwed and some needs to be completely screwed before the split comes apart. The speed to split is greatly impacted by both screw speed and by wood type. Red alder pops right apart like the other straight grained stuff.

Highbeam said:
Some wood will only need to be slightly screwed and some needs to be completely screwed

Amen :lol: :coolsmirk:

I have one of these.My friends call it the "The Screw Of Death".It is fast on most wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.