Real World Evaluation Of DC Volt Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I have been posting various questions in the Hearth Room regarding wood stoves. Since I am new to all of this alternative fuel stuff, I would like to get a complete education. Therefore, I would like to find out a little more about pellet stoves.

My biggest concern with having a stove for my main heat source is the potential loss of electricity. I have read a couple of threads that discussed the mathematical theory of running a pellet stove on a 12 volt battery. Unless I misunderstood these posts, I didn't see where anyone chimed in with real world experiences about this. So, this has brought up some questions for anyone that does have actual experience running their pellet stove on a 12 volt battery:
- 1. What kind of battery was used?
- 2. How long did the battery run the stove before it had to be replaced/recharged?
- 3. How long did it take to recharge the battery?
- 4. What method was used to recharge the battery (i.e. - automobile, solar charger, etc.)?
- 5. Is it possible to cook on top of the pellet stove?
- 6. Any other information that might prove useful on this topic?

After getting my questions answered about wood stoves, I am seriously considering converting. But, before I jump in with both feet, I would like to know more about the pellet stoves, so I can make a completely informed decision.

Thanks for any input.

I can only comment on questions #5 & 6:

5. No

6. There are stoves that will run off a 12 volt battery direct. Any others, have to have 110V AC, and would need a true sine wave inverter to run, or a generator.

macman said:
I can only comment on questions #5 & 6:

5. No

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure

macman said:
6. There are stoves that will run off a 12 volt battery direct. Any others, have to have 110V AC, and would need a true sine wave inverter to run, or a generator.

The inverter would likely deplete the battery much quicker.

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.