Really Chewin the pellets Now...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
Last night before going to bed I topped off the hopper with the last of my Somersets :(
The hopper was pretty full so that I had to work 'em in to make sure the top would close. This morning I get up and I know I'm going to break into the Barefoots before dinner tonight....

Since I also have a wood stove in my basement, I'm not used to going through that much, but this thing really chewing up the pellets now with our recent cold blast...

JS

Last night before going to bed I topped off the hopper with the last of my Somersets :(
The hopper was pretty full so that I had to work 'em in to make sure the top would close. This morning I get up and I know I'm going to break into the Barefoots before dinner tonight....

Since I also have a wood stove in my basement, I'm not used to going through that much, but this thing really chewing up the pellets now with our recent cold blast...

JS
Me too...doubled the usage with this cold snap. Two bags a day.

I've got 2 stoves going. I'm at 3+.!!!

Yep the Harman is eating about 2 bags a day. Haven't had to fire up the Quad yet this year. The basement is still 55-60 this am and it was -4 out.

going through about 1/2 bag more pellets, but we turn ours down while at work.

Mines maxed out. Went from a bag and a half a day to 3 in a hurry!

I went from r40 to r60 in attic and was easy to see temperature change. Had a countryside that had manual feed settings. We blew it ourselves and paid for the effort in less than half the season. If I had to redo insulation I would go with foam. Shop garage is do for siding and may foam the works and attic insulation can be taken out easily.

2+ bags/day for me the last 3 days.
But I was out on Mail truck delivering in the cold.
Had to warm up when I got home :eek:
Cranked it up.
---Nailer---

Going thru over two bags a day with the XXV.

Just when i had it all figured out at 20-25F mother nature throws this at me :p guess she is saying install the 2nd stove
Gonna have the air sealing and the 4" of insulation added to the attic done first
i got 12" up there already house is 5 years old i cant see that it needs more but thats what the guy recommended and at 400 bucks guess it cant hurt

Most mine has burned was 3 bags/day during a -20::F cold spell . That was before the second layer of insulation(R40 total) and the duct work. Adding some pink permanent pellets saved me some fuel.

IIRC you got a big hut like over 3K sqft, no? Thats a lot a hut for 1 space heater to deal with.

Using 2 a day in the cab and the Jotul is eating up Envi 8's.

ya when people come and i tellem i use just a pellet stove they dont believe it. I know i need a 2nd ( but the only place i could put it is in the bedroom ) my bedroom is the size of some peoples house and its over the garage to boot
also the furthest for the heat to travel so i have alot against me.
Few members here been here so they can see what im up against I know its a space heater and im asking alot from it so im not complaining
I had it down pretty good in the 20's so if i have to use a bit of oil in these temps i really dont mind. I got the handler in the attic to worry about so getting a little heat up there running the furnace is peace of mind. thats another thing scaring me about adding insulation ill really have to watch that handler for freezing although it circulates on its own when it reaches 32 up there still worries me. Im gonna get one of those remote stats so i can monitor the temp up there from here

Well its a good thing you bought over 20 tons of Somersets, You might need em all if this cold snap lasts much longer! :p

You might wanna hug that beast of yours, Dang impressive heatin all that! :cool:

I've got mine maxed out, burning almost 3 bags a day, getting a bit of help upstairs from the dino burner (but not much). If my office wasn't upstairs, I'd let the stove do it all, but it gets too cold up there for me.

And my OAK isn't cold, it's so hot it's sweating ;lol. Pay no attention to the icicles on it.

I'm at a 1.5 bags a day now, but don't run pellets at all for about 8-10 hrs (depending). Load the wood eater in the am before work and Wife shuts Fahrenheit down when she leaves. 58*-62* when I get home. Crank up the furnace and load the wood eater for a fast HOT load!!

Stayin under 2 bags a day in this weather is almost hard to believe. I always used 2 bags a day (or better) when running just the Quad 24/7. So I save more using the furnace, and the house temp is even to boot ;)

I switched the M55 to manual mode and set it to heat level 3. It is using at least 2 bags a day. The Quad is running on Medium and using about a bag a day.

Normally the M55 is T-stat controlled and the Quad only runs at night on low. Will use about 1 1/2 bags a day in this config.

Looks like Monday we should be back in 30-40* temps.

Hey Brad, where'd you get the LG's? Any good?

Hey Brad, where'd you get the LG's? Any good?

I got them from Horse and Buggy down in Winchendon just across the boarder on RT 12. They were $250 ton during the summer sale and delivery was $35. They seem to be a decent pellet, heat is above average and they burn very clean, especially compared to the MWP Blends that I am also burning (got them from Belletetes). I can push the cleaning to two weeks with the LG's but with the MWP I have to clean one a week minimum.

They also have Turmans, MWP and Cheshire Pellets.

I'm going to get 5 bags of Turmans to try out before the season is over. I think I will do the LG's again next year and if the Turmans work out nice, maybe get a ton or two of them as well. I don't think I will be using MWP Blends again, they are just too dirty.

2 bags a day, keeping 4000 sqft at 69 degrees. Wife loves it 65-69, 70 she opens the slider to cool it down.
I sense a little complaining about cost of burning multiple bags a day.
look at the alternative, burning (fill in the blank) would be substancially higher, than a few bags of pellets
which are already paid for as opposed to the suprise bill showing up.

Reactions: zrtmatos
But its toasty warm and the wifey's happy. ;)
And that's not just being victorious in battle...That right there is winning the whole damn war! Congratulations.

Reactions: SteveB
I got them from Horse and Buggy down in Winchendon just across the boarder on RT 12. They were $250 ton during the summer sale and delivery was $35. They seem to be a decent pellet, heat is above average and they burn very clean, especially compared to the MWP Blends that I am also burning (got them from Belletetes). I can push the cleaning to two weeks with the LG's but with the MWP I have to clean one a week minimum.

They also have Turmans, MWP and Cheshire Pellets.

I'm going to get 5 bags of Turmans to try out before the season is over. I think I will do the LG's again next year and if the Turmans work out nice, maybe get a ton or two of them as well. I don't think I will be using MWP Blends again, they are just too dirty.

Thanks for the info, Brad. Compared to the 2 brands I burned before, the MWP's were much better in the ash dept so it's nice to hear that the Ligs are better. We have different stoves so that's likely a factor as well. Horse n Buggy is pretty close so maybe I'll swing down and grab a few. I'm very happy with MWP but have had an ongoing issue with sand in them. I'm hoping it was just a fluke but they are tree to chip.

Don't forget to check the Hamshaw Lumber pellet sale in the spring.

Same heeya. Prescott has been munching down 2 bags a day for the last several days.
I got no prob with that. It's doing what it's made to do. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.