Really dumb question about jumper wires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2014
Pelham, NH
I'm guessing I can't just buy these online, so I'd like to make up some jumper leads for bypassing suspect components in my old stove. Also, I need to make up a couple of leads to attach a new exhaust blower that has a different configuration than OEM.

So here are the questions:
What gauge wire to use? The wiring harness looks like 18 or maybe even smaller.
Do I need a crimp tool other than the typical little indents in a pair of wire strippers?

Thanks. I hesitate to ask these questions, but I have a rather unsuccessful history of trying to build little wiry things.

I usually salvage wire from old household appliances and of course old stoves. 16 gauge should cover most stove projects. Your crimp tool should be fine and if really concerned solder it. I just did a bunch of soldering of thermostat wires as I hate a possible loose wire causing a errant signal. Soldering the wire ends before inserting into terminals mite be a bit overboard but is a piece of mind too.

Reactions: bcarton
Status
Not open for further replies.