Really? Is it THIS cold in June?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Aug 19, 2008
Seacoast Massachusetts
Ok. June 10th, 60 degrees in my house with a cool london like mist outside (I dionrt have an outdoor thermometer, maybe my friend up the road knows what it is outside) and I lit my stove because Im freezing. No wonder Pelletsales.com didnt lower thier winter prices, its gonna be winter all damn year long!

I have noticed also, my stove is getting installed tomorrow. I found this article some interesting reading.

Pacific Decadal Oscillation's Cold Phase starting to show the signs
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009
- Mark Vogan -
As far as the weather, climate or indeed atmosphere goes, generally we always see a "lag." When the oceanic conditions shift in small ways or greater ways effecting the long term, we nearly always see a lag.

The PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation) has been negative for some time now and is in my eyes nearing a peak, perhaps in the next 2-5 years. The past two consecutive winters across the United States has showed signs that we are seeing a fightback of winter. 2001-2002 was a very warm year. January 2006 was very warm also. But what I am seeing is continued "building" and expanding of a worryingly cold and getting colder air mass over the Northwest corner of the North America continent. In 2007-2009, we saw Alaska drop to 72 degrees below zero, one of the coldest two weeks of that winter for Interior Alaska.

Record snowfall hit the Intermountain West with areas of Utah, Wyoming, California, Idaho, Colorado and some New England ski areas seeing most snow on record. The cold shadow from winter 07-08 shifted east and is expanding with 08-09 seeing breathtaking cold over the heart of North America. It hit nearly 50 below in South and North Dakota and Minnesota. Maine dropped to an astonishing 50 below zero, setting a new cold benchmark for Maine and New England. Illinois arguably hit or tied it's cold benchmark of 36 below zero. Wind chills nearly 70 below zero froze the Northern Plains.

A lot of attention is drawn to La Nina and El Nino but we need to look at the "driver" and that's the Pacific Ocean. The back-to-back La Nina's where driven by a cold Pacific, eventually, ever so slowly, the feet is being swept from under the legs of Global Warming as we cannot dispute our world is getting colder once again.

Winter in Summer

Now, April, May and now June has been chilly across much of the lower 48. Canada's interior from Winnipeg to Churchill is still cold, even frozen with the last days of May seeing snow and freezing temperatures throughout the day in Churchill, Manitoba, the exception to the rule has been the Southwest up until about a week ago. The warmth has yet to arrive there across southern and central Canada yet it's now incredibly June 9. Just a couple of days ago we saw snow falling at Dickinson, North Dakota and areas of Montana saw upwards of 5 inches of snow with lows setting new records in the low 20s with highs only topping the 30s and 40s. International Falls, Minnesota hit 27 degrees for it's coldest so late in the season just days ago. Mt Washington, New Hampshire reported 83 mph winds, heavy snow and a record low of just 18 degrees on June 1. Win chills were likely between zero and 10 below zero!!. Same day Saranac Lake, New York reported heavy snow and 32 degrees, Bradford, Pennsylvania chilled to 29 degrees. This like last June's 40 inches of snow at Browning, Montana, the 48 inch blizzard in the South Dakota badlands in May and the increase in late season record lows are all signs of cooling in spring and the lingering effects from an increasingly cold winter, the late season chill means shorter summer warmth, I expect to see earlier signs of winter in the next few years, (remember Buffalo's October blizzard?) rather than late season warmth which recently has taken us into October, November and in some cases December.

I am beginning to see winter lingering into spring now more and more and this year, what's literally summer even though it's now officially summer is still chilly and April-like. Reason I say that is because, by June I have seen 110s in the Desert Southwest by now. Phoenix and Las Vegas has cooled considerably because of an unusual trough and storm system that has penetrated the West Coast with rain, wind and yes, mountain snow. California is not warm at all. LA has seen high's for about a week now some 5-12 degrees below normal, it's raining there at times along with thunder and lightning. Even the inland valleys aren't that warm, high's struggling to get above 80 degrees. We should be seeing 90s this time of year. June gloom should be the rule these days with thick fog and stratus cloud in the morning with mid-day burn off and bright sunshine, 60s and 70s along the coast, 80s for basin and 90s to low 100s from the inland valleys and canyons to desert.

I believe the reasons for colder springs and early starts to winter is because the PDO is finally kicking in with the atmosphere by cooling off the Arctic regions, the deeper and longer the cold is, the more expansive it becomes during the winter months, a deeper, greater reservoir (cold) takes longer to shrink and dry up, puddles form in the end game of a season (spring) and creates problems in the warming process when high pressure cells such as the Pacific High tries to push north, the colder, denser air and it's trough's force resistance and that is what we're seeing with the Pacific high displaced out off the West Coast and a dominant trough has taken charge. For so long, cold trough's have been weak and easily pushed aside by warm dome's such as the Pacific high. Same is true for the Bermuda high that has been further north than it should be during winter because the warm Atlantic has allowed it to keep the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic warm in winter, but that is changing too, just take a look at Atlantic water temperatures in the tropical belt (where it counts).

All this is thanks to the PDO starting to charge the atmosphere. I do believe we have a cooler Western summer than normal, we are already behind in the warming, instead of 100s for Las Vegas and Phoenix, it's 90s. Instead of 80s, 90s and low 100s from LA to Riverside to Palm Springs, it's 70s and 80s with only 90s in Palm Springs.

The Pacific Ocean is going to give birth to an El Nino later this summer, reason being, we can't hold onto a La Nina forever, eventually it must swing the other way. Because of the "weak" El Nino prospects for late summer, fall and into next winter. I see a very harsh winter ahead for the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic coming, big snows and bitter cold. New York, Philadelphia, Washington will see lows get below zero next winter and this is simply the next chapter. It will remain cold this summer across central and northern Canada with perhaps a short wi

sorry everyone......seems my weather machine has gone a little crazy. I will try to work out the bugs.

That's why the joke in the northeast is that summer comes on a Wednesday this year.
Mike -

Still cold here in western nys also. Stove still comes on in the morning at times. So much for global warming..............................crap

You can keep that stuff up North........
It's been 90s here for about a week, bit humid but not nearly as bad as NE summer humidity.....
I'll try to kick some sun your way........... That is if Delta shuts that machine off......

high 80's and thunderstorms every afternoon since june 3rd here in SW virginia, burning a bunch of pellets at work though. man its hot in my workshop when its 85 outside and 4 pellet stoves are runnning flat out, i need to buy stock in bottled water!

stoveguy2esw said:
high 80's and thunderstorms every afternoon since june 3rd here in SW virginia, burning a bunch of pellets at work though. man its hot in my workshop when its 85 outside and 4 pellet stoves are runnning flat out, i need to buy stock in bottled water!

I thought roasting in the lab was Corie's job. Something we haven't heard about going on down there? Been wondering why we haven't heard from him in a long time. :mad:

Mid to high 80s for us the past 3 weeks. Today was the first day we didnt break 80. Forest fires have been growing and the burning ban has begun. Almost 20 hrs of daylight now. Will be heading out shortly to go fishing since it has cooled down a little with the cloud and smoke cover.
N of 60

Greg 123
I really hope you are right as i love winter
but the one thing we as humans cannot predict is the weather.... what you are saying is true, however with this global warming it could drastically change overnight now......
anyways your info was very good

SparkyDog said:
It all because of you environmentally friendly pellet stove users that global warming has been put on hold for 2009. Thanks a lot.!

But. But. What about us cord wood burners?

BB - Saving the planet. One split at a time.

Al Gore invented the internet and Global Warming......LOLOLOL

Welcome mini-Ice Age! With all that fresh water melting at the caps, the Gulf Stream slows and creates much cooler climates.
Add a few tons more of pellets this year, just to be safe! (What they WON'T tell you in the "drive by" media!)

My environmental science teacher in college was saying the same thing 20 some odd years ago....And yes it's true
but the temp swings are normal at least coastal Massachusetts,
I'm predicting a mild winter this year.......But get you're pellets anyway :cheese: just in case.......

Status
Not open for further replies.