Really liking black walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
My dad's neighbor took down a HUGE black walnut last Fall and I was able to get everything that didn't go into the chipper. I just started burning a little last night-it was seasoned under cover in the shed for about 11 months. It's not a super high BTU wood but its up there at about 25 million/cord. The best part is the smell! It smells a little weird when its green but there's a nice aroma every time I open the door to add another split. It produces decent coals though they get a little sparky at times. Anybody else burning it?

Yea i burn it quit a bit. I think my smellar is gone though.

I've processed and burned plenty and it does have a unique smell, especially when cutting & splitting it green. Splits easy and clean, but I'd put the btu content about on par with green ash at around ~20K btu

I have some but haven't started burning it yet. I'm working one up now for 2012-2013.

fv

I burn it all the time. I have a bunch to cut and split this weekend for next year and beyond.

Just started splitting some for my 2012-2013 supply also, great wood to work with. I have about 2 cord for next year to go with 3 cord of Ash.

Just split some today.

I split about 2.25 cords this fall for the winter of '14. I'm going to season it for two years on pallets. I'm excited that so many have had good experiences burning walnut. Now, I have something else to look forward to. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.