Really low temps coming up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
bboulier said:
Looking at temperatures in Alaska, Vermont and elsewhere, I am really glad I live in Northern Virginia, where it will only get down to 11 or so. For us, that's pretty harsh.

Yeah. I call this place wood burner's hell because wood is our only heat source. One day it will be 45 with the night in the thirties and the next night hit single digits like we will tonight. It is better for me when it just gets cold and stays cold.

+1
10°f at night 15 - 20 days till spring
Wouldn't that be nice. Heat regulation is easy then.
We can dream.

What I hate the most it the temps get in the 40s mid January,
Thaw out the ground surface & melt the snow, muddy ruts & puddles, then freeze at -10.

We'll be getting some heat from the sun in March, "breakup" starts. In April, the ground is Goushy (thawed top 2 ")
Time to leave for vacation. Can do nothing outside.

bogydave said:
What I hate the most it the temps get in the 40s mid January,
Thaw out the ground surface & melt the snow, muddy ruts & puddles, then freeze at -10.

Happens here on almost a daily cycle all winter. Frozen ground one day. Mud the next. With a 900 foot road down to "the road" is sucks. HD has a hell of a deal on wood pellets right now and I have the pellet stove in the basement and want to use it more. Of course when I went into town yesterday and put a ton in the back of the seven thousand pound Suburban I came home to a thawed muddy very long driveway.

Gonna wait for the ground to re-freeze for the next load for sure. Tomorrow.

BB
Looks like you may get your frozen ground in the next few days.
I heard weatherman say, it's the coldest winter so far since 1917. True?
Figured you were there then & maybe remember. LOL :) :bug:

The good news is all the snow we've got will keep alot of stuff from freezing. Stuff under the road/driveway will have a tough time but tanks/pipes under 2' of snow will be fine. Of course, it will freeze as it comes up and into the house!

In negative degree weather I just run the stove a bit hotter 550 instead of 400.
My single pane windows take the brunt of the abuse. The bitches just don't like weather.

1 degree in Pgh right now. I feel sorry for those guys playing at Heinz field tommorow. On second thought, I just thought how much money they'll be making doing it.

bboulier said:
Looking at temperatures in Alaska, Vermont and elsewhere, I am really glad I live in Northern Virginia, where it will only get down to 11 or so. For us, that's pretty harsh. We have had to put some milk containers with hot water around some of the plants - pomegranates, rosemary, etc. - to keep them alive through the winter.

Ok, no wonder so many of you people burn so little wood. Up here, the only plants outside right now that look alive are pines and evergreens. A gallon of hot water doesn't stay hot for very long around here. Temps for us are a lot colder than those in Boston or the shores. We get the Watchussett weather pattern. Here's the hi/low forecast for us.

Today
20°F/0°F

Sunday
15°F/-11°F

Monday
6°F/-3°F

That's usually warmer than the actual temps get here because it's taken a few miles down the road in Worcester.

bogydave said:
BB

Yeah back in the winter of '17 it was a rough one. I had to walk to school in it everyday. Uphill. Both ways.

Supposed to be 18 outside right now but it is 12. Wonder how far off they are for the rest of the night.

I couldn't have been more happier this morning. We loaded our woodfurnace at 9:30pm with oak, locust and ash filled to the brim. Let it char, then set the thermostat on the wall at 71*. Woke at 4:30am it was at least -5* and the house was 69*. Loaded back up set the thermostat at 70* and woke to 72* at 7:30am. Despite the 3" of cellouse in the attic, our airsealing paid off. That was one of the first times I have woke without the LP furnace at those temps. I feel like i'm burning a ton of wood, but remember feeding the old beast at 2:00am trying to keep the house warm using double the wood or more. Don't miss those days!

Well, it is 5 degrees now which is 25 degrees warmer than a couple nights ago. Not really sure what the low is supposed to be tonight.

I loaded the stove at 1pm this afternoon with a few walnut rounds and the house is at 72 degrees 8 hours later. Just about ready for the overnight loading and off to bed.

We've got about 3 degrees right now. It's not that cold because the wind isn't too bad. You know its bad when it hurts to breathe. They're already talking about cancelling school because of the danger of frostbite. Get this: If a kid walks to school and gets frostbite the district gets sued. That's right, send your kid outside without any clothes and you can get a generous settlement, just as long as they're walking in the direction of a public education building.

8 Deg outside 77 inside. Not bad for a house thats only 70% insulated.

BrotherBart said:
bogydave said:
BB

Yeah back in the winter of '17 it was a rough one. I had to walk to school in it everyday. Uphill. Both ways.

Supposed to be 18 outside right now but it is 12. Wonder how far off they are for the rest of the night.

:) ;)
I knew it.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
It is a gorgeous night to be outside, even if for only a few minutes. Temp is in the teens and plummeting, wind is fairly calm, bright moonlit sky, and 6" of fresh powder on the ground. It is nice, but it's gonna start getting old pretty soon.
i did some snowshoeing yesterday and then we camped for the night. got down to right around 0. was beautiful out last night. got up about 3 am to go pee sky was a clear as could be was pretty cool.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 232
That looks like a clip on coat thermometer. Most wouldn't be out there walking around if much colder than 0°f.
But he's a wood cutter, takes around -10°f to run him out (or "in" may be more correct) :)

Good camera, does it say JAPAN & TAIWAN? I don't think it gets don't get colder than that over there.

Still 20s F here, maybe snow in 2 days & highs to 30 F . Hope no warmer than that. Be nice to keep the snow.

whoa its -22 :bug: out here looks like the fuel oil furnace is working over time! and the wood stove is off tonight gotta do my every 4 days cleanings the ashes are filling up the stove on the pic i am in the middle of Michigan at -22 i mean where did that come from?!! that needs to go back to Canada and have 22 not no -22 lol

Attachments

• michigan_current_temperatures.jpg
    michigan_current_temperatures.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 173
bogydave said:
That looks like a clip on coat thermometer. Most wouldn't be out there walking around if much colder than 0°f.
But he's a wood cutter, takes around -10°f to run him out (or "in" may be more correct) :)

Good camera, does it say JAPAN & TAIWAN? I don't think it gets don't get colder than that over there.

Still 20s F here, maybe snow in 2 days & highs to 30 F . Hope no warmer than that. Be nice to keep the snow.
im getting ready for next winter as i plan i climbing mt washington in the winter in new hampshire. gets some of the worst weather in the world. temps go -20 -30 pretty constantly. so -10 not stopping me either. lol and yeah that thermometer clips onto my hiking pack.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 337
Good morning! 7am here, just got up to load the stove, 7 degrees farenheight! 68 f. in the house. My last load was at 9:15 pm and still no match needed. Of course the stove was at 200 and cat at 250. But there was enough red at the bottom for a matchless re-start. Heating oil used = zero. Here we sit talking about fire when the cavemen used it to heat up their dwellings! It never gets old I guess. I'm going to post details of last night's and the next two nights as well burn in my Diary thread. It's only gonna get colder tonight.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53337/
Happy burning,

Chris

Good luck with Mt. Washington winter climb. I've done a number of the Adirondack High Peaks but never Washington. That's the big league! Have only gone up as far as Tuckerman's Ravine for some skiing.

Hasn't been quite as cold here as they've been forecasting. Only -4* at my house, supposed to hit +4* by mid-day and then start dropping, supposed to be -25 to -30* by Mon morning

ecocavalier02 said:
bogydave said:

im getting ready for next winter as i plan i climbing mt washington in the winter in new hampshire. gets some of the worst weather in the world. temps go -20 -30 pretty constantly. so -10 not stopping me either. lol and yeah that thermometer clips onto my hiking pack.

Good luck Bobby! Keep us posted on the journey. I'd love to read about THAT!!

Chris

i do a ton of fall and spring hiking and itss just not enough. lol. so this cold weather around here is helping us get out there and really feel what it'll be like. just something about it that i love. ill def keep ya guys updated. getting ready mentally is the biggest thing.saving money for the equipment is another thing. stuff aint cheap i have most of the stuff but just two items like the boots and a new sleeping bag can total a thousand.

Adkjake said:
Good luck with Mt. Washington winter climb. I've done a number of the Adirondack High Peaks but never Washington. That's the big league! Have only gone up as far as Tuckerman's Ravine for some skiing.

Hasn't been quite as cold here as they've been forecasting. Only -4* at my house, supposed to hit +4* by mid-day and then start dropping, supposed to be -25 to -30* by Mon morning
did you ski the bowl at tuckermans? looks like awesome skiing. also i have an uncle who has done tons of montaineering int th adirondacks for years now hes older and doesnt go as much anymore but he was a maniac up there. he 99 percent of the time went by himself as well. i would like to get out that way and do some hikes. only can do so much now that a baby is on the way

Woke up around 3am to load up the stove 0.3 degrees out side. Ouch... The good news is that by 6:30am we were at 3 degrees out. it's getting warmer.

We were 3 this morning when I got moving. I don't think we hit the negative numbers that were forecasted. I had over a cubic foot of coals in my stove this morning that I'm trying to burn off though.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.