Really Old Quad and Leaf Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinger

Burning Hunk
Nov 23, 2011
SW CO
www.gregdinger.com
Some friends had us over a few weeks back and I learned they had a pellet stove. It was burning very lazy when it burned at all. I offered to come help and it was accepted. He is not afraid to get dirty, and cleans the firebox regular, but that was it.

The stove is a 1992 Quad 1100 Insert. The hearth is built around the unit, and he said he's had it out once ever. Looks heavy! Well we did a thorough cleaning inside, then we moved outside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWacGH9Po10&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The results were outstanding. We have some work to do this summer as the chimney is only 3", we're at 7000', and it doesn't look that great anyway, but for now he's warm and happy. This old Quad exhausts out the top, and I saw no provision for a lower cleanout... Is this just something we have to deal with? I didn't get the best look at the lower end of the back of the unit, but this was the best I could tell.

Anyway, thanks again for this awesome tip!

Thanks! That was fun to watch.

That was impressive. One of the best videos of the LBT I have seen.

Your a good friend and he will get many more years of enjoyment out of that stove now. A clean stove is a happy stove. ;-P

Cheap as possible at Homey D. 4" sewer connection hose clamped on the the suction side. We had to duct tape a couple rags around his 3" chimney to size it down, but it work effectively.

I figure as much garbage as these blowers pull through doing this, if I only got 1-2 years I would be ecstatic. I think it was only $45 or so. Couldn't see spending anymore for the punishment I was going to give it.

Homelite UT42120 to be exact.

That was so neat to watch, thanks for shareing.

Status
Not open for further replies.