REALLY stupid question on full loads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateC

Oct 7, 2006
Arizona
www.flickr.com
For the most part this isn't an issue since one of us is usually here and can load the stove more often, but for the occasions we want to pack it full to burn longer----what exactly is supposed to happen---do they all light off, some light and some char black, some just sit there fresh as a daisy until their number's up? I don't mind if you're laughing at me but it's my first rodeo with this newfangled thang and just want to be sure it's working properly. Thanks.

There is no simple answer every stove reacts different even wood loads. Don't worry it takes practice to get a routine down

I never rush to damper down I establish a good bed of coals first this could take 45 / to 60 minutes Adjust the primary air supply to where you want first is full open at startup, then add a few logs you may have to open the air it get them going better about 10 to 20 minutes later stove tem above 500 degrees damper down and open the primary air inlet 1/2 and make further adjustment by closing or opening it from there There is no rush to damper down to soon your fire box fills up witha lot of un burnt smoke

Ill rake my coals forward, fill the wood furnace and open the dampers a little. The fire will get HOT and the wood will start to char, from there I shut the damper and open the spin damper a little and the damper on the forced draft. This way there is a rolling ball of flames on the baffle all night, and it burns from front to back all night long with no smoke from the chimney. I have learned if you cut off too much air for a overnight burn, or away, it will do nothing but smolder. I have my controls open enough to burn secondary gasses so I get more heat and a longer burntime. You will eventually get it . Every stove is different.

Well, since we have the same stove, the only variable is Draft, uhh...wood we're burning...install, well...nevemind...we're about as close as anyone around here...

This time of year I rarely stuff a full load in. What ever it is in the morning it is....the house usually isn't cold.

If it's very cold out, I begin planning ahead around 8pm or 9. I prep the stove by getting a good bed of coals, but not too deep..maybe 2" of coals or so. Up to the front metal "chin" that the Osburn has.

Then I put in as many splits as will fit, and believe me....It's an art form. The bigger the splits the better since they burn longest. For over night I tend to use elm (Did I ever mention that Elm is natures cruel joke?) white oak or ash. (Yes, I actually have my wood piles seperated by burn time.) Elm, oak, and apple on one set of pallets, then cherry and ash on another, followed by the S**t pile which has a mix of pine, crappy apple, cedar, mulberry, etc... and finally about 2 cords of pure pine.

By the way...I'd be happy to get rid of some of the pine if anyone in Poughkeepsie wants some. All split and ready to burn. I just have too much of it.

I usually load the stove around 10:30pm and run it wide open till about 11:00 and shut the air down as far as it will go.

No matter what I always have enough coals in the morning to light off the next mornings fire.

A 2200 would be a better stove for my home, but I'm pretty happy with my 1800i!!!

:)

For what it's worth...it's 80 in my LR right now...about 40 outside.

Warren said:
(Yes, I actually have my wood piles seperated by burn time.) Elm, oak, and apple on one set of pallets, then cherry and ash on another, followed by the S**t pile which has a mix of pine, crappy apple, cedar, mulberry, etc... and finally about 2 cords of pure pine.

Question Warren ............ Why the mulberry in the pine pile of wood ? mulberry has ahigher BTU then Elm .

I picked up some that seemed awful light to me and didn't know better at the time, so into that pile it went....:-( so your telling me I have to redo THAT pile...grrr....:)

Warren said:
I picked up some that seemed awful light to me and didn't know better at the time, so into that pile it went....:-( so your telling me I have to redo THAT pile...grrr....:)
LOL :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.