Really tired of the small auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manfred Range

Nov 7, 2011
British Columbia
Hi folks,...it's bin awhile. I still have my Quad 1200, first bought in 2007. I've been a promoter of North Idaho Energy pellet/logs in Canada. I have been a squeeky wheel re:long pellets, but have been mostly ignored about my feed problems. Now, I am less blaming the 1 inch pellets as I am blaming that rediculously small auger system in my quad. I've had a bad winter of fussing with the feed. either too much, or it dies in half an hour. no in-between. What? couldn't it have been designed just half an inch bigger and a slower motor feeding? That would have totally ended my frustration, maybe 800 times in these 9 years. So,... is there a quar representative here that can respond to my plight? Manfred

Be glad your not burning these crayons, I been burning all season. IMG_20160217_194046_zpsecnp10gu.jpg

Have you ever unplugged the stove, and taken the control box out, and looked at the dial to see what number it is on? kap

thanks, guys,...no, I haven't checked the dial. It works great on 3/4 in pellets, and I can fine tune it beautifully. once they breach the auger, though they bridge like nobody's business. And,... unless I change my supplier, who I've promoted all these years, I still seem to buy pallets with bags having one inch, or longer pellets. They say it must be my stove. I always argued it was their "SPROUT" brand pelleting machines, which I have run and know well. The machines can be adjusted for pellet length. but,....as days wear on,...I am now wondering why a slightly wider auger wouldn't have totally prevented the problem. like I mentioned above it runs great on 3/4 inch pellets. My son has another brand of pellet stove and his auger is 2 inches. He has ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. so simple, and yet,....

Sell and buy your sons brand stove or a Harman. Or change pellet brands . Problem solved.

Getting hung up on brand loyalty to ones own detriment seems counter intuitive.

Sell and buy your sons brand stove or a Harman. Or change pellet brands . Problem solved.

Getting hung up on brand loyalty to ones own detriment seems counter intuitive.
You are absolutely right. That quad 1200 has been saving us hugely, as would most any pellet stove, and we've depended on a heating cost of half compared with Gas. Having to spend another 3-4G on another stove would sadly negate all the savings we ever had,for the convenience of less fussing. I'm all for the less fuss, however the only viable option will be to humble myself and buy the other shorter pellet brand of pellets. yeah,...well,...hindsight 20/20,...I wish I'd have known the auger size problem way back then. live and learn. Thanks guys, sorry for my venting.

When these stoves were made, pellets were of a standard size. Some tend to forget that. kap

When these stoves were made, pellets were of a standard size. Some tend to forget that. kap
That's true and really I wish pellet manufacturers would get back to that standard. Our Harman will eat the long ones but it does groan or bang now and then as it breaks them off ( the infamous Harman Bang). No bridging though, the P61 literally eats and burns anything. I much prefer burning pellets that are correct length even with this beast. LOL

The Serenity and the Ravelli have both been eating up those long pellets in my pic above no problem, but I do notice more of a flame size fluctuation burning them over a standard size Pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.