Realtor full of smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water ain't a problem here like it is in CA. We are still a swamp most of the year. When the weather guys say "drought" I say "Yes!".

I would leave the stove in but its your house so do what you want. It sounds like from a comment above that this stove is coming on sale for $599 which hardly makes it worth removing. I find two kinds of buyers, those who want a wood stove and those that dont. Leaving a space where there once was a wood stove seems counter productive. If you do want to remove it then no one can tell you not to. Why dont you ask the realtor where his sources are and check it out for yourself? Easy, and if he or she cant tell you where the information stems from you have your answer. If you want to remove it and cap it yourself and your realtor tells you that you cant then you've been told, Im sure you will be able to live with the consequences of your actions. Like @Sprinter says you can interview several realtors as well. We arent all created equal and some do give bad advice and some will be invaluable to you.

Reactions: Squisher
I would leave the stove in but its your house so do what you want. It sounds like from a comment above that this stove is coming on sale for $599 which hardly makes it worth removing. I find two kinds of buyers, those who want a wood stove and those that dont. Leaving a space where there once was a wood stove seems counter productive. If you do want to remove it then no one can tell you not to. Why dont you ask the realtor where his sources are and check it out for yourself? Easy, and if he or she cant tell you where the information stems from you have your answer. If you want to remove it and cap it yourself and your realtor tells you that you cant then you've been told, Im sure you will be able to live with the consequences of your actions. Like @Sprinter says you can interview several realtors as well. We arent all created equal and some do give bad advice and some will be invaluable to you.
So it sounds like we have a realtor here. Good to know. I've probably dealt with 20 or more. Some (maybe most) are great. My favorite of all is the agent that helped us find this place and worked with us patiently for a year. I'd call her in a minute when it comes to sell (which probably won't happen). I've got lots of stories, but won't bore you with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanm
So it sounds like we have a realtor here. Good to know. I've probably dealt with 20 or more. Some (maybe most) are great. My favorite is the agent that helped us find this place and worked with us patiently for a year. I'd call her in a minute when it comes to sell (which probably won't happen). I've got lots of stories, but won't bore you with them.
yeah Ive worked with some folks for over a year to find them that perfect house. Take care of the client and the money comes, not the other way around. Cheers

Reactions: Sprinter
I think a lot depends on where you live and the type of house you are selling.

Here in Maine a lot of folks heat with wood (or like the idea of having back up heat when the power goes out) so leaving the woodstove in place would most likely be considered a good thing.

In addition a moderate sized home in the country like I have would (I suspect) be a good candidate for keeping a woodstove as buyers in the country may be more inclined to want a woodstove vs. a large McMansion say in the suburbs or a home in middle of a large city.

Reactions: Heftiger
In addition a moderate sized home in the country like I have would (I suspect) be a good candidate for keeping a woodstove as buyers in the country may be more inclined to want a woodstove vs. a large McMansion say in the suburbs or a home in middle of a large city.
I'm sure that's true. It would be interesting to know the percentage of our forum members that are rural or urban/suburban. I've never had a wood stove in an urban house but only when we've been in a rural setting. A lot of that may have to do with adequate wood storage space on the lot I suppose, but also local ordinances.

My house came with a stove. I sold it on craigslist for $800. Bought my NC30 for $700 shipped, and now I'll get the $300 tax rebate on it. Good stuff. :)

My wood boiler came from house where it was improperly installed, the new owner could not get insurance unless it was removed. She was going to pay someone to take it out so I did her a favor and removed it for free

My wood boiler came from house where it was improperly installed, the new owner could not get insurance unless it was removed. She was going to pay someone to take it out so I did her a favor and removed it for free

that is called a win/win/win... the owner is happy because she didnt have to pay to have it removed (a win) and she got her insurance/ Win for the insurance company because they dont have to deal with it even if she had it corrected/and a win for you...

Sounds like a great deal all the way around there... now how come I dont find deals like that...

I had my place for sale a couple years ago and agent never said a word about stove or wood. I was a bit nervous when she brought a buyer to see it and wondered who she represented, me or the buyer? Never got what I considered a serious offer either.

Sounds like a great deal all the way around there... now how come I dont find deals like that...
I have missed on many deals like that over the years. The boiler weighed around 1000 pounds and had to be picked out of basement and then rigged into mine. If it wasn't for a friend who had the rigging gear and home made hoist on his truck it would have been another missed deal

When I lived in Georgia I built a beautiful 3 br 2 ba log cabin on Lake Sinclair. Had a beautiful wood stove install. There in the great room, 19 foot high cathedral ceiling with exposed 4x8 rafters, had a 1988 VC Resolute on a hearth made of big rocks set in mortar.
I never used the lake much but a year before I put the house on the market I was going to build a dock. Figured it would help sell the house. My realtor, my old college buddy William, told me that having a dock would have no effect on the sale, not worth the trouble. Dock would cost $3 grand.

Well the house set on the market for 6 months, no action. I fired that realtor and built a dock, got a new realtor, sold the house in 5 weeks, new people said they loved the dock. Thanks for the great advice, William.
Neither realtor said a thing about the wood stove. However the buyer did! The first special stipulation they wrote into the contract said "Wood stove stays and the free standing hammered copper heat shield stays with house."

Reactions: webby3650
this stove is coming on sale for $599 which hardly makes it worth removing
It already is...actually less...unless you are including the $99 shipping to your driveway...that makes it $618 (plus tax)

When I lived in Georgia I built a beautiful 3 br 2 ba log cabin on Lake Sinclair. Had a beautiful wood stove install. There in the great room, 19 foot high cathedral ceiling with exposed 4x8 rafters, had a 1988 VC Resolute on a hearth made of big rocks set in mortar.
I never used the lake much but a year before I put the house on the market I was going to build a dock. Figured it would help sell the house. My realtor, my old college buddy William, told me that having a dock would have no effect on the sale, not worth the trouble. Dock would cost $3 grand.

Well the house set on the market for 6 months, no action. I fired that realtor and built a dock, got a new realtor, sold the house in 5 weeks, new people said they loved the dock. Thanks for the great advice, William.
Neither realtor said a thing about the wood stove. However the buyer did! The first special stipulation they wrote into the contract said "Wood stove stays and the free standing hammered copper heat shield stays with house."

When selling my condo in CT...the current realtor couldn't get a bite and kept insisting I lower the price. I fired her after she failed for 6 months. The next realtor was an amazing go-getter and sold my place in 11 days for asking price.

Most realtors are horrendous failures. No idea about the home. Know nothing technical. Know nothing about the taxes in the area. Know nothing about the untilities,,est cost.....just generally useless. They think they deserve 5% for just opening doors and getting MLS listing information.
But once in a while you get a diamond in the rough.

I am a licensed real estate broker in Idaho. I have never heard of such a law but you are in a different state. Call your local Board of Realtors and Building permit office and see what they say.

Here's what I did when selling a home with one stove and one insert...During open house events or showings - make sure you have a nice warm house and nice fire going in the stove and a nice clean hearth. Potential buyers will love the place. My house sold in 3 weeks.

Here's what I did when selling a home with one stove and one insert...During open house events or showings - make sure you have a nice warm house and nice fire going in the stove and a nice clean hearth. Potential buyers will love the place. My house sold in 3 weeks.
And be baking bread or cookies when showing.

It's true! Chocolate chip cookies are to blame for my last home purchase.

It's true! Chocolate chip cookies are to blame for my last home purchase.
A roast or stew in the slow cooker does well too!

During the holidays just pay off the people in town to sing Christmas carols in the front yard and randomly stop by with home made baked goods.
Worked great in Funny Farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.