Rear clearance clarification for the Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Help me clarify this:
My Englander 30 manual says that I can put the stove 5" from an unprotected surface using side and rear heat shields and using double wall chimney pipe. Now 5" from the unprotected surface...If I have a 1" air space then 1/2" Micore, I am 1 1/2" from the unprotected surface, can I put my stove 3 1/2" from the Micore? What if I had 1" air, 1/2" micore and a course of 3 1/2" brick. I am at 5" from the unprotected surface, can I put my stove within 1" from the brick? Do I measure from the stove or the heat shield? Taking the snow day to try and figure out where the stove would go and where the chimney would need to go through the roof between the rafters. Thanks

not necessarily , there are constraints in NFPA211 which may not allow that , i looked it up the applicable code in NFPA211 is para.12.6.2.1.2 which states "unless the appliance is specifically listed for lesser clearance, the clearance after reduction shall be not less than the following
1. 12 inches (305 mm) to combustible walls
2. 18 inches (457 mm) to combustible ceilings "
essentially , this means that since the unit is already allowed to be placed at 5 " according to its listing , the reduction listed in table 12.6.2.1 does not allow the 66% reduction as it would be within the 12 inch minimum allowable by code. so the 5" minimum is as close as you can get.

you should also pay attention to table 9.5.1.2 which gives you allowable reduction for the flue system although you should be ok using the double wall pipe due to the extra distance from the back of the stove to the back edge of the collar.

to read this you may look at it free of charge on this site , you may not however copy it or cut and paste as it is not allowed by the site owner , you may buy a copy from them however as i have. its a necessary ref. book for my work i hope you find this helpful , please feel free to contact me at my office if you wish to discuss this or gain clarification here is the link http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_document.asp

He is not asking to reduce clearances but where to measure to. He is adding non-combustibles in front of the wall and is wondering if he should measure to the new wall, or the combustible wall behind the new wall.

actually the "to protected surface" is a bit confusing , essentially if you have a protected surface , you are still lookiing at the clearance to combustibles, which would be behind the protective surface, as stated above in my earlier post , 5 inches is as close as you can get to a combustible surface , whether you have a protective surface between there or not so having that surface there you would actually still be measuring to the combustibles as if the protected surface was not there. so with or without that protection , the unit will still be in the same footprint. measurement should be from the back of the shield welded to the back of the unit to the combustible surface

Status
Not open for further replies.