rear heat shield clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack22

Mar 10, 2011
Warren County, New Jersey
Good Morning. I have a Woodstock Keystone with a rear heat shield from Woodstock. The shield attaches to the back of the stove and sticks out a little causing the overall depth of the stove (including the heat shield) to be longer. This heat shield allows me to install with a rear clearance of 14.5 inches to combustibles. My question: is the 14.5" start from the heat shield or from the main body of the stove? I just found out that since I am using 6" pipe instead of 7" that I need an extra 2" of hearth in the front of the stove. Since I already built my hearth every inch is critical. I will call Woodstock when they open since I can not find anything in the owners manual. But for the time being any insight would be great. Thanks.

-Jack

I suspect that they will tell you "from the heat shield to the wall.

-Soupy1957

No Woodstock Keystone here, but my VC Encore manual has very clear diagrams that show the surfaces to measure for clearances in all possible legal configurations. Took me a while to suss them out. Hopefully, you can find similiar diagrams in your manual.

My Jotul manual has diagrams for most of the typical applications (ie: flat wall, kitty corner) along with the clearances with and without heat shields. I've seen some woodstock manuals at the shop, they have simular diagrams.

The measurement is to the stove body. Info is on page 7.

"When using shields, always measure the clearance from the stove back to the combustible wall."

Attachments

• keystone heatshield.jpg
    keystone heatshield.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 308
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did read the owners manual but I was unsure if the heat shield would be considered part of the stove once it was attached. I called Woodstock and got two different answers. First person says 14.5" from the heat shield second person says 14.5" from the stove and that the ultimate decision will be from the code enforcement inspector. The diagram on page 7 would lead me to believe that it is 14.5" from the main stove body because that is ware the tip of the arrow ends. I guess I will have to wait till Monday to find out what will satisfy my inspector.

Show the inspector the line in the manual that I copy/pasted above and the diagram. It is not ambiguous.

Status
Not open for further replies.