Rear heat shield on a homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boboiatl

Sep 29, 2015
Georgia
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I have a Homestead 8570 freestanding,new, that I am installing. The parallel/corner installation clearance shown in the manual reduces the side clearance (see pic). But my install is going in a 26 inch deep alcove (after I remove my prefab fireplace). But the alcove install picture does not mention a rear heat shield and any reduction it would bring; only "unprotected" and "NFPA 211 protected" are the choices. I have 56 inches without any major modifications-so close to unprotected, but not enough. Doesn't the heat shield count in an alcove?

IMG_2907.JPG

Welcome. I would use the protected wall dimensions in the table above if the alcove is going to be constructed with NFPA211 wall shields. That would be 12" to the rear and sides of the stove. This will require double-wall stove pipe for the rear clearance.

Protected walls need to be ventilated. That means the wall shield needs to be on 1" non-combustible spacers off the wall and 1-3" open at the bottom above the hearth and open at the top. It can be closed at the side edges. I mention this because the Homestead has a very stiff hearth insulation requirement. If the hearth is being built up from scratch take the final hearth thickness into account before setting the wall shields in place.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

Status
Not open for further replies.