Rear heat shield. Remove or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CALJREICH

Feb 19, 2010
PENNSYLVANIA
Will removing the rear heat sheild from my Vermont Castings Defiant stove result in more heat to my home? My stove is in my basement and my electric hot water heater is 28 inches from the back of the stove block wall behind hot water heater.
I was just wondering if there would be any benefit to removing the rear heat shield. Anybody do it? What did you find?

Please put your stove and model in your sig so folks can better answer your question.

Thanks.

CALJREICH said:
Will removing the rear heat sheild from my Vermont Castings Defiant stove result in more heat to my home? My stove is in my basement and my electric hot water heater is 28 inches from the back of the stove block wall behind hot water heater.
I was just wondering if there would be any benefit to removing the rear heat shield. Anybody do it? What did you find?

One benefit you may get from removing the heat sheild is the benefit that your homeowners insurance gives you. I am unsure of your clearances but I would think if you have a heat shield, it is there for a reason. The stove will put out the same amount of heat. The heat shield does just that shields the heat from the wall behind the stove, the heat still gets into the room/house. Without it, you may have a MUCH bigger issue and fire, as in the entire structure.

Thanks Shawney. The sheild came with the stove. I will keep it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.