Rear vent stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I had an installer out yesterday who told me that my flue curves into my fire box in such a way that I need to get a rear vent stove with a tee joint.

I imagine it's something like this.
anatomyofchimney.jpg

What rear vent stoves are available? I wasn't looking for this when I shopped stoves, so I can't even remember what stoves had this. Does this sound like my only option? One shop, without seeing my place, said he could install with no legs or pedestal, but I don't like the sound of that.

Mine is top vent in a fireplace. I just used a 30 degree stainless steel elbow to adapt the liner to the stove.

Attachments

• elbow.jpg
    elbow.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 469
I don't think I have that much room. What is the height on that elbow?

Your chimney is similar to most, so there are stoves that will work for you...
The Jotul line can be vented either way, as the flue collar is reversible.
I believe the Harman woodstoves have that feature also.
The Regency steel stoves are top vent only.
Hearthstone makes stoves that can also be vented top or rear, but they
don't have reversible flue collars...
The list goes on...

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I don't think I have that much room. What is the height on that elbow?

The elbow is about five hundred degrees at the moment. Can't measure it.

I just noticed that I'm really hot :p Much better than "burning chunk"

BrotherBart said:

Does that mean I have to wait until spring :)

My heritage can be top or rear vented, same with a few of the other hearthstones.

You're not going to find many (any?) "economy" plate steel stoves that vent to the rear. You could always bust through the front of your chimney and add a flue inlet. Many folks have abandoned their fireplace opening and just plumbed in over the mantle.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
BrotherBart said:

Does that mean I have to wait until spring :)

Not for "Really Hot". :coolgrin:

What are the measurements of the fireplace opening?

H=33'
W=37

Highbeam said:
Many folks have abandoned their fireplace opening and just plumbed in over the mantle.

What a depressing thought. I'd sooner dig the old cookstove chimney out of my kitchen wall and run up through that.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
H=33'
W=37

Highbeam said:
Many folks have abandoned their fireplace opening and just plumbed in over the mantle.

What a depressing thought. I'd sooner dig the old cookstove chimney out of my kitchen wall and run up through that.

Pics, please.

That is one inch taller than the fireplace my 30-NC is sitting in. But ya have to have the six inch legs. The stock 9" legs wouldn't work. Call overstockstoves.com and ask about getting one with six instead of nine inch legs.

Attachments

• 30 first fire 2007-2008.jpg
    30 first fire 2007-2008.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 392
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Pics, please.

Of the kitchen wall? It's partially bare and partially the 1970's wallpaper. There's no safe place to rest your eyes.

Of my hearth? There's one on another thread I can go dig up.

BrotherBart said:
That is one inch taller than the fireplace my 30-NC is sitting in. But ya have to have the six inch legs. The stock 9" legs wouldn't work. Call overstockstoves.com and ask about getting one with six instead of nine inch legs.

This is great news. Thank you.

Hamptons vent from the top or the rear. With standard legs, the H300 stove is just under 30" tall if I remember correctly. There is also a short leg option that makes it about 25" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.