Rear Venting Stand Alones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
Can you all give some recommendations on rear venting stand alone stoves? I am going to vent through my existing 8" prefab fireplace by putting in a 6" wrapped pipe up the existing chimney. I have a tri-level house and it is 1500 square feet. I have looked at the hearthstones, but am wondering what else is out there. I would like a catalytic stove with a blower (is a blower necessary????). Thanks all!!!!

You are very limited if you are wanting a cat stove. Even more limited if you want a cat and rear exit.

You mentioned hearthstone but how about woodstock? They are smaller sized cat stoves and have rear exits.

Blowers are never required on freestanders. I like the silence and if a blower was cheap I might own one for occasional experiments but they are not cheap, in fact they are extremely expensive.

Normally this is not an approved installation unless the stove mfg has tested for this application. Check with your inspector and insurance co first. I think Hearthstone Homestead, Jotul (F400 or F500) are the only brands I can think of that say this is approved. But it would be worth calling the folks at Woodstock to see what they say. Let us know if you do.

Thanks for the replies. I did call Woodstock and they were very helpful. I told them what I wanted to do and they said that I could put a 6" pipe up an 8" tube, but when it came to insurance and code that I would most likely be in violation of each doing that. The recommended that I rip out the 8" tube and replace it with a double insulated or triple walled pipe and then I could put a Class A (?) fireplace in with the better chimney. So, I guess this will be a few year project, because I will need to get the 8" tube ripped out and replaced and that could cost up to $2000! Any other recommendations??????

I put a Morso 2110 in front of my fireplace, rear exit and up the fireplace flue with a 6" liner. Works great to heat my 1,000 sq ft ranch. But, it's not a cat stove, and no blower because I did not want to have any electricity needs.

At first (in October) I thought it was too large a stove, but not any more, especially after learning how to balance the wood to air ratio.

claybe- how tall is your chimney? why cant YOU tear out the old 8" liner? i just did the exact thing that was recomended to you, i did it all myself for under $500! i also was going to put a stainless liner in my prefab but its just to dangerous, let alone insurance and code. the prefab chimney was so easy to remove, the pipes are just stacked on top each other, no screws. with just a little muscle the will lift rite out. as far as putting the new class a chimney in, it was also easy. supervent makes a double wall insulated pipe that twist locks together for easy installation. if you have a lowes or menards around they sell a 3' section for $60. thats about the best pipe for the money. any other questions let me know, sounds like i just did what you have to do!!!

Thanks for the info weezer. I ended up getting a used Avalon that slides into the ZC fireplace and used a block off plate and the existing pipe from a pre-fab Majestic (approved installation from the Avalon manual). Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.