Reasonably inexpensive stack thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddahlgren

Minister of Fire
Apr 18, 2011
SE CT
i need a stack thermometer and want a probe type. I know it has been asked before but maybe there are better solutions since the last answer. I used to have a high end one from way back when I was an oil heating tech, still have my state license for that matter. i can not find it after looking for hours. I moved my shop about seven years ago and do remember moving the tune up kit tool box that it was in. I doubt I would have thrown it out but oh well. I have little faith in the stick on magnetic or IR heat gun either as that is skin temp not stack temp. I want to keep the stack gases at the right temp not the outside of the pipe unless that is more important to help prevent creosote. Any guidance appreciated. If there is a good magnetic one it would be simpler as nothing to do but look at it. The local tractor supply has magnetic ones Rutland I think are they any good if skin temp the most important.
Dave

Are you using single or double wall stove pipe?

pen

I like using this one:
http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-gre...ter-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Accurate and fast response.

i need a stack thermometer and want a probe type. I know it has been asked before but maybe there are better solutions since the last answer. I used to have a high end one from way back when I was an oil heating tech, still have my state license for that matter. i can not find it after looking for hours. I moved my shop about seven years ago and do remember moving the tune up kit tool box that it was in. I doubt I would have thrown it out but oh well. I have little faith in the stick on magnetic or IR heat gun either as that is skin temp not stack temp. I want to keep the stack gases at the right temp not the outside of the pipe unless that is more important to help prevent creosote. Any guidance appreciated. If there is a good magnetic one it would be simpler as nothing to do but look at it. The local tractor supply has magnetic ones Rutland I think are they any good if skin temp the most important.
Dave

Joful put something together with a k probe and a reader sourced from amazon, you could pm him. Or the Condar analog probe.

For double walled pipe I have been pretty happy with my Condar probe thermometer.

Osburn (SBI) magnetic flue probe in double wall pipe, purchased from stove dealer for @ $15 if I recall. Works well until the guy on the roof hammers it with a chimney brush...;em

For double walled pipe I have been pretty happy with my Condar probe thermometer.

I had one installed in a telescoping (adjustable) section of double wall connector pipe and it read very low and was slow to respond. So these must only work in a true double wall section of pipe... Just an FYI...

had one installed in a telescoping (adjustable) section of double wall connector pipe and it read very low and was slow to respond. So these must only work in a true double wall section of pipe... Just an FYI...

interesting - I have mine (not a Condar) in a telescoping pipe and it seems ok - maybe the brand? or because it doesn't go through the "overlapping" part of the pipe? I dunno....

interesting - I have mine (not a Condar) in a telescoping pipe and it seems ok - maybe the brand? or because it doesn't go through the "overlapping" part of the pipe? I dunno....

Mine went through the overlapping section of pipe - so 4 layers. This explains the low reading and slow response. Just an FYI that this type of probe thermometer is very sensitive to 1 vs 2 vs 4 layers. I'd rather have the sensing part of the probe inside the pipe. The Condor probe is just a piece of solid metal that conducts heat out to the coil located outside the pipe. The coil is also affected by radiant heat off the outside of the pipe. The Tel-Tru that I use has the coil inside the probe inside the pipe and works well until you exceed the 1000F limit. I did that once but was able to re-calibrate it and put it back in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.