Reasons for wood burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I first wanted a wood stove for emergency power/heat outages.

Then I realized how much more comfortable wood heat was in terms of just making a person "feel warmer". :)

I also realized we were saving lots of gas throughout the winter months.

My stove has added a special kind of "warmth" to my home during winter months that was not there a couple years ago.

Now after two winters of use.........the physical and psychological "warmth" is the main reason we look forward to using ours.

Are your reasons similar ?

Robbie

I'm a firebug at heart. Got sticker shock at the propane bill, I'm frugal, and I like that the warm solution has some really nice visuals.

I just live in the woods and like to stay warm.

Hate the work, love the warm.

My wood burning habits are mostly out of need instead of want. I like the views my windows have to offer and i dont cover them with drapes. If i dont burn wood my house is cold and the furnace runs continually.
Much like BB, i hate the work, but love the warmth.

MountainStoveGuy said:
My wood burning habits are mostly out of need instead of want. I like the views my windows have to offer and i dont cover them with drapes. If i dont burn wood my house is cold and the furnace runs continually.
Much like BB, i hate the work, but love the warmth.

And how are the three you are keeping warm doing Mountain Solar Guy?

I have been worried about you guys.

BB, we are keeping plenty warm up here. Its been in the 80's and im dreading firewood duty. The little ones are doing great, Sophie is 3 weeks old and is a super well behaved infant. Madeleine loves her little sister now and wants to help with all the duties. Me, im in a dream world. I think i landed the dream job and im loaded to the gills with work. My hearth.com habit and work this fall will go hand in hand. I basically have the winter off :)
Still.. MSG

BeGreen said:
I'm a firebug at heart. Got sticker shock at the propane bill, I'm frugal, and I like that the warm solution has some really nice visuals.

Well, BG - I'm with you there - I'll change one thing, though... I'm not frugal... I'm cheap!!

But, actually - I like the work, because it does a few things - it gets me outside, rather than at the desk all day - It's getting the yard opened up a bit, which needs to be done (although some other projects may take the back burner for a while), and yeah, the heat (and asthetics) from the stove during the cooler temperatures cannot be beat.

The whole notion of self-reliance, home and hearth and comfort, with some romance thrown in. Not to mention getting some good exercise and fresh air. Which in turn leads to more of the romance part.

Kind of an all-around self-perpetuating cycle of nature.

builderbob

I'm a controlled pyromaniac. I love to build/maintain a fire and fireplaces/woodstoves allow me to do this in a manner much safer than otherwise would be offered.

Oh, and all the above stuff, too.

Mine started out as a safety issue. My Majestic fireplace doors popped one day when they got too hot, so I started looking for a spark screen. Went to the local Majestic dealer and they had all these cool looking wood stoves. So I start thinking... Those put out a lot of heat... let me find a blower for the majestic. ... uuuuuhhh you what WHAT? for a blower? GTFOOH!!! So I start searching the web for a blower... lot's of wood stove adds, so I start thinking... maybe a small stove to take the chill off that big LR I have. Then... wow... look at these insert things... They claim they'll heat my whole house. Oil prices are going up and ROI calc left me with 2 year ROI... That's a no brainer. Then I found Hearth forums and the rest is history.

Two heating seasons later, and I'm a happy camper.

Making money for Hearth.com

Making my wife think I am as big a hunk as Wilz and Hunky are (a man with an axe has a certain appeal).

BTW, July 4th is right around the corner and WebWidow brought me some mortars that have tubes almost big enough for me to climb into - PYRO heaven.
NOW THAT IS BURNING........

Yes, I know I am breaking the law once again, but we have created a diversion so the local police will be elsewhere.

I've always loved the aesthetics of fire. I enjoy a good campfire, bonfire in the back yard or an evening in front of our horribly inefficient fireplace. I also enjoy cutting and splitting wood; I hate stacking it. One of my web searches for some information on an outdoor fireplace led me to Hearth.com and the rest is history.

After reading the information on this site, I figured out that I could feed my love for fire and actually get some good heat out of my fireplace. That went hand in hand with the fact that I'm cheap (seems like a common theme here) and figured I could save a ton on my electric bill. That's another part of the equation; we have all electric baseboard heat, which is not inexpensive to run.

Since I put the insert in, I love it. Electric bills are down and there's nothing like the feel of wood heat! The exercise of processing doesn't hurt either.

Childhood.
I grew up with it and always thought dad was cool when he was loading the stove and using his chainsaw. The days I would be able to tag along and help load up that old Ford with wood were the glory days.

Land use.
6 acres of land and its all wooded with Oak/Pine. I want to have an apple/nut orchard in the next few years, what to do with all that wood?

Comfort.
NOTHING like the heat from a wood stove.

Self reliance.
We have a 600+ foot driveway and our own power-line. Boiler doesnt work without electricity.

Cost.
Really silly for us to continue to pay for heating our home when it will be free after the initial costs. This coming season, third will be the first "free" year as the oil I would have used paid for the stove, chimney etc.

Cool tools.
I like using my chainsaw and swinging a maul can only help me health wise as I age.

Kids.
I want my kids to know how to heat a home with wood so they can chose to do so if they want to in their adult life.

I like to see the look on peoples faces when I tell them I heat with wood :wow:

I also like answering questions like "Isn't it alot of work?" and "How much wood ya got there?"

It's also fun to watch the bewildered looks fade, and the questions stop when you have company over in Jan and it -20C outside.

It pays the bills and i get to heat almost for free.

I burn wood for three major reasons and a few minor reasons.

1. I love it. In the winter it is great to have a very warm room you can go to and read a book in your skivvies. I likely would not heat with wood if I did not like it so much.

2. I hate sending all that money over seas. We are giving away our independence to a bunch of people who have no regard for us. This is an incredibly huge issue.

3. It is almost carbon neutral and less polluting than fossil fuels if burned properly (EPA stove, cat, etc).

Along with these major reasons I do like to save a bit of money, I have independence from fuel suppliers and their price increases, it supports the local economy (my neighbors), if the power goes out I don’t freeze to death, etc.

I will burn wood until I cannot not lift a piece into the stove any more.

It helps me perpetuate the "bushman" stereotype:when I'm out sawing scrounged wood off the tailgate of ol' Betsy then splitting rounds like a savage in the driveway, the neighbor folk seem to think I'm a little sketchier tha they did the week before.Oh....burning wood also keeps the princess' butt warm all winter.
:p

Webmaster said:

Making my wife think I am as big a hunk as Wilz and Hunky are (a man with an axe has a certain appeal).

BTW, July 4th is right around the corner and WebWidow brought me some mortars that have tubes almost big enough for me to climb into - PYRO heaven.

Yes, I know I am breaking the law once again, but we have created a diversion so the local police will be elsewhere.

So Webwidow thinks them things you burn require an axe? We won't tell her where pellets come from.

Warren said:
Webmaster said:

So Webwidow thinks them things you burn require an axe? We won't tell her where pellets come from.

Martha: "What have you been doing Craig? You look beat."

Craig: "Chopping, splitting and stacking for the winter WebWidow."

Martha: "Oh really. Come and show me the natural gas stacks. And how you split those pellets and corn. I have just got to see this you caveman you.".

I'm not a dummy, mostly. When it's below 55 F. I don't work so good. When it's 40F I don't work at all. When it's 20F I can not close my hands and rub my fingers. Simply, I burn to stay warm. I chose wood, because the tires I tried caused a lot of black oily stuff to cover the windows and block out the Sun. The nice fuels are not available.

I hate paying the gas company. Wouldn't mind working for them . I have an old forced air furness , that would probley cost me about about $1500.00 a heating season. Pellets cost me this year $780.00.

Webmaster said:

"Diversions"????

...Err...Ummm..."Dumpster fires"???? lol ;)

Burn wood...cheapest "therapy"....easier than fish...caters to basic pyro instincts...all of the above...lol

I work too many hours in the summer to turn around and write big checks to the oil man in the winter. I also work less in the "off" season so I can enjoy saving money by burning and I enjoy the exercise, from splitting, stacking and 1 arm curls of 12oz. beers. Just a few reasons. Like many of you, warmth, economics, pleasure of relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.