Reassure me or not!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Alright I have a pre epa "Fisher" Big bear, momma bear, granpa bear, first cousin removed, brothers sisters' roomate from the 70's era woodstove! Heats my place good, don't get alot of burn time, but definitly keeps me and the gf warm in the winter! Average temp 75 inside! I go through 4 maybe 5 cords in the winter!

I want the T-6!

Alot of $ for it, but as I see it, it will go along with my tankless HW machine in saving me a ton of $

but................ will it give me as much heat as my fisher/ or...................... less?

will it give me that much more of a longer burn time?

will it really cut down on my wood consumtion or will it take more wood to get the same amount of heat?

and why is the efficience of the T-6 less than the Classic if basically they are the same thing, just the T-6 has a cast shell?

Soooooooooo right now my Fisher is working fine keeping me warm, and not costing me anything. Will the $2500.00 be worth it ?

By the way! If anybody is considering putting in a tankless HW tank do it! It cost me $1000.00 up front and I installed it! The cost savings though has paid for that thing in 6 months, maybe less! Do it you will not regret it! By the way almost forgot it has a 10 year guarntee! :coolsmile:

thanks,

Fatttfire

Great questions!!! I've also got a Fisher that I'm going to replace this fall (hopefully). I'm probably getting a Country Flame Ovation 3000 myself. I'm interested in what the experts have to say about your questions.

All I can tell ya is that I went from a 4.3 cf pre-EPA 650 lb. tank to a 3.5 cf EPA stove season before last and wood consumption went down to the tune of about a third. As to heat, in my wife's words "This place has never been this warm.".

And as everybody already knows, PE stoves cut their own wood, clean their own ashes and call your cell phone when it is time to add wood.

BrotherBart said:
...And as everybody already knows, PE stoves cut their own wood, clean their own ashes and call your cell phone when it is time to add wood.

I had no idea...I'm calling my PE dealer right now! Rick

Go for the Alderlea. It has coffee and fresh muffins ready for you in the morning! And it Bluetooth's to the car to tell it to warm up 5 minutes before I leave for work.

The only difference between the Summit and the Alderlea is the cast-iron shell. The Summit Classic and the T6 have identical efficiency ratings at 72.5%.

Not having owned both stoves I can't make a fair comparison, but can say that the T6 warms up slowly as compared to steel stoves I've run. Not glacially slow, but more of a gentle warming. But once all that cast iron is warmed up, it acts like a big heat sink and radiates it back into the room even after the fire has died down. As far as potential heat output, I'll have to wait until next winter to run a full load of wood. But Tom told me it drove them out of the shop last winter. They had to leave the doors open.

BeGreen said:
Go for the Alderlea. It has coffee and fresh muffins ready for you in the morning! And it Bluetooth's to the car to tell it to warm up 5 minutes before I leave for work.

The word must already be out, all I keep getting at PE is a busy signal, and then a seductive female computerized voice urging me to stay on the line, because I'm just number 143 in line, and my estimated wait time is only 3 1/2 hours. Then the music. Guess I'm just stuck with my old Lotech Lopi chunk of sheet metal for now. :smirk: Rick

ahhhhhhhh another soon to be very happy pe owner!!!

I think I got ripped my PE only heats the house. I have the cheap summit no cast here and it does a fine job at heating the house on less wood than my old earth stove.

Crazy Dan how much is " less wood"?

OK, I'll answer your question, Fattt. We also had a Fisher grandma insert when we moved in here. Being new to woodstoves, we put a cheap liner on it (the chimney had issues) and started firing it up. WOW, what heat! Immediately contracted the burn "bug". It was capable of pushing the room up over 80 degrees rather quickly, but required careful control and a 2AM feeding if we wanted to stay off the gas heat. My wife also said something about never being so warm. It was capable of burning a cord a month in relatively mild weather and would smoke like a pig if you weren't careful. The chimney also would gunk up pretty fast and really needed cleaning about twice a year. A lotta work, but it was worth it, then.

That was then, this is now. We sprung for a Quadrafire 4300 freestanding stove when we rebuilt the addition and the difference is night and day. It will not get the room up to 80 degrees, but that's wasteful anyway. 70 to 75 degrees for hours at a time is more realistic. There is almost zero smoke, the chimney is on its second year without a sweeping (on the to do list) and our wood consumption is conservatively 25% less and we're burning for longer periods. I will generally stuff it about midnight and it is still going at 6AM and back up to full burn in 15 minutes. It is very easy to hold a controlled burn. Like I sad, night and day difference.

The glass was also a factor that I never expected. Being able to check the fire without opening the stove up is worth a lot and the entertainment factor from the secondary combustion is priceless. The "bug" is now firmly embedded and will not let go! If you can afford the new stove, go for it. Pass along the old Fisher to a newbie and help them get started. Loan them some wood, even! We're all just a bunch of junkies anyhow.

Chris

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
...And as everybody already knows, PE stoves cut their own wood, clean their own ashes and call your cell phone when it is time to add wood.

I had no idea...I'm calling my PE dealer right now! Rick

Bart left out a few details....that's an expensive EXTRA OPTION (the "butler" option) ;-)

The word must already be out, all I keep getting at PE is a busy signal, and then a seductive female computerized voice urging me to stay on the line, because I’m just number 143 in line, and my estimated wait time is only 3 1/2 hours. Then the music. Guess I’m just stuck with my old Lotech Lopi chunk of sheet metal for now. Rick

Rick, have I got a deal for you! For just a slight premium, I'll sell you our "not yet installed" PE Summit. ;-) If your credit is good, we will even accept payments of only $19.95 per day :)

Ken

Ken45 said:
...Rick, have I got a deal for you!

Thanks Ken...but I learned a long time ago that every time I hear that particular phrase it's best for me to run away. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Ken45 said:
...Rick, have I got a deal for you!

Thanks Ken...but I learned a long time ago that every time I hear that particular phrase it's best for me to run away. :lol: Rick

Awww! Trust me, I just LOVE to sell stoves! LOL

Ken

Thanks REDOX, thats what I wanted to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.