Rebates and subsidies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sstanis

Oct 20, 2006
Every day, we hear and read about various states and even federal gov't giving rebates and subsidies to businesses and end-consumers from everything to buying energy star appliances to start-up capital for biomass, 75% reductions in installed capacity for solar, credits for wind. What about rebates, tax credits, and the like for Phase-II stoves, multi-fuel pellet stoves, corn stoves, and the like. Biomass does reduce CO2 emissions , supports a local economy, and many other benefits. What a good way to give the industry a good running start, but not only that, what a good way to support the environment. Just think of how many open air fireplaces and pre-epa stoves could be removed from the market by utilizing such a strategy.

I think subsidies for anything are bullshit.

I don't want to help some oil company by subsidizing their search for oil and likewise do not want to help some guy in California put a 100 grand worth of solar PV on his roof so he can live in a 100% electrically powered 8000 sqf "house".

Same goes for stoves, if they are two expensive work on bringing down the cost don't try to spread the cost out over everyone else.
Same goes for heath insurance, but that's a whole nother can to open up. :)

I personally think subsidies are a good thing for everyone. For example, solar subsidies. It causes more people to purchase and take advantage of solar, which increases demand for said product, which increases the quantity produced, which lowers the product price for everyone, which brings it into a price range for more people, who take advantage of it, which increases research and production of said product even more lowering the cost and even more demand and more innovation until you reach a point you don't need subsidies anymore. I'd like to think that's how it works anyway :)

Soooo..... now that the corn price is going up due to the increase in demand for ethanol, we should stop the subsidies for all the corn growers? The corn market follows just what you have said; production per acre are up, efficiencies in processing are up, and we still have the subsidies?

Look out "Ash Can", here we come!!

Farm subsidies have been around for awhile, and will continue to be around for awhile considering log-rolling on bills put through congress and senate. So, in the long run, we will have to put up with them. Cannot necessarily say that I agree with corn to ethanol, considering, output is 1 to 1.7, with gasoline being 1 to 32. Not to say, that it would not work as a steeping stone until celluose to ethanol comes to being. Consider it far more economical to use corn as heat or at least co-firing for power generation. I guess that one could make the argument that the price of electricity would go up, but in essence, not that much. Only way we will truly make use of co-firing is carbon cap taxes.

My argument is that biomass produced heat does offset the carbon cycle and what better way to kick-start the process than to offer subsidies to the end-consumer. Take for instance, CFLs, although only at 5% market penetrance, their numbers have increased over the yrs and their price has decreased considerably, much in part due to DOE subsidies to the end-user. Not everyone will become "burners" but in the long run, incremental numbers will offset CO2 emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.