Rebuilding a USSC 6041....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well that's decisive;lol;lol Thanks for the explanation...
LOL, ya, it's like I used to tell the boys at the power plants, I didn't design this XXXX'er, I'm just trying to install it and get it working. :)

You remind me of my stepson, but I'm glad at least he has his own yard now for all the crap he brings home for next to nothing. Good luck with your "project stove", if you're anything like Scott that stove will run LOL!

hmm probably were cast from the same mold lol I need to learn how to walk away from things, but it soooo damn hard!!! Its like the project "homestead" in my signature that I just had to have. When we got here and stepped inside...I should have just started the car, and drove back to my moms place...but when the crowd came soon after, it was a wee bit hard to just drive away lol

I'll get it going! It may end up on the back burner for a bit, until I find the right parts but something will happen with it. If anything, now that I have learned so much about USSC Pellet stoves, I now know what to look for and may find another cheaper non working one and get that going.

Might be worth the $300 ... exhaust duct on the 6041 goes for around $170. Then add the missing fans and whatever else... Are parts compatible between the 6039 and 6041?

That's the issue, that darn duct! I can find both fans pretty reasonable but that duct looks like it has to come from ussc and was never a universal type part by other stove companies.

I was going to pull up the diagrams, check part numbers n all that but looks like a follow member beat me to it...

That's the issue, that darn duct! I can find both fans pretty reasonable but that duct looks like it has to come from ussc and was never a universal type part by other stove companies.

I was going to pull up the diagrams, check part numbers n all that but looks like a follow member beat me to it...
You need a second donor stove. You start investigating this stuff and things mysteriously manifest themselves, ever notice that ?

You start investigating this stuff and things mysteriously manifest themselves, ever notice that ?

But there is nothing like the thrill of that first fire roasting when it's cold outside and the first hours of just watching the little pellets dropping in and wondering how so little can heat so much. ;)

But there is nothing like the thrill of that first fire roasting when it's cold outside and the first hours of just watching the little pellets dropping in and wondering how so little can heat so much. ;)
Ya that's a fact !

You need a second donor stove. You start investigating this stuff and things mysteriously manifest themselves, ever notice that ?

I "think" this is how hoarders are born lol

I noticed that, but what will keep me from bring home dozens...Is I can't lift 300lbs by myself, though I can leverage it lol

Reactions: FirepotPete

I know!! I want to be apart of this, before pellets reach the price I won't be able to afford! I also like that I can burn corn, cherry pits and a few other things! I want to start experimenting! There are a few grain towers close to me, I may be able to get corn pretty cheap!

I know!! I want to be apart of this, before pellets reach the price I won't be able to afford! I also like that I can burn corn, cherry pits and a few other things! I want to start experimenting! There are a few grain towers close to me, I may be able to get corn pretty cheap!
Well then you better scrape your parts together !

There's the above post there that's a lead already! If you can find a list somewhere with some part numbers, maybe obtain some idea of what specs are on motors .... Graingers is a good source. Might find another same model used CL or Ebay near by someday to "combine" with?

When my home's "Air Handler" (install early new 1991) which is main heat / AC that get's it's heat from hot water developed a leak in the AC core and it was gonna costs $600 just for the replacement part and then labor to install, I hit Ebay and found a warehouse in NW Indianapolis had a bunch NOS same exact air handlers with fans, water pump (circulate water) and AC cores, brand new, $140 each .... took three days, my wife and I and our puppy and took a road trip mixing fun with money savings. Had a buddy who had recently moved up there with secret service, we stayed with them. My guy could not believe I found a whole new unit.

Last edited:
cooljjay,

I don't know how far you are willing to travel but ruger243 has a friend that has two 6039's he's willing to sell. You can pm him, ruger243 and talk with him about it. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I just checked his profile out, he seems pretty far from me. I don't think it would be worth the trip all that ways.

Yes. No. Maybe. Sometimes.

The auger twist ratio is different and I believe the 6041 is shorter as they have a different angle from the fuel hopper.

The fuel pot for a 6039 won't work without drilling out a hole for the ignitor that the 6039 didn't have. But, having said that I once saw a USSC stove that was identified as a 6041, name plate and all documentation that came with it. It had the square fuel chute like all other 6041's but no ignitor, and the firepot was the same as a 6039.

In some cases you might find a different make of low/high limit switch, no problem they will work, also the vacuum switch might be a different make, again not a problem. I think they just went with whatever could be sourced and met specs.

The fake firebrick will fit from one to another but you need to mod it for either a square auger hole or a round one.

Edited to add. The gear box for the auger motors are a different ratio also. I don't consider that a problem though because you can adjust the fuel feed by pounds per hour in each heat range.

I agree with you Pete.
A few additions I have noticed.

To the best of my knowledge
6041 and 6039 differences
Older 6039s have a 5/4 finger agitator and square ended firepot.
As opposed to later 4/3 finger agitator and angled ends firepot.
The 6041 fire pot is higher on front and sides. (with aforementioned igniter hole)
The augers are different threads. directions and pitch.
AND CONFIGURATION.
6039 is horizontal
6041 is diagonal

6041 is counter clockwise and 1 rpm
same motor as 6039 agitator (stirrer)

6039 is clockwise and 4 RPM
same motor as 6041 agitator
Chain drive and opposing motor position changes CW to CCW agitator direction.

All motors (fans too) are interchangeable with the above considerations.
The complete combustion blower housings are different part number
, haven't tried a swap. Same part numbers on the exhaust fans.

I have been told some US Stove 6039s have the 7 inch exhaust blower .
I have only seen 6 inch exhaust fans

6039 firebrick can be cut for rectangular feed 6041 usage.

Please double check the following
with a Owners manual wiring diagram, and the stove wiring.
I am not responsible for differences I have not experienced.

As far as I know (again my personal experience only)
Wiring is identical. at least ON LATER (2006 +) models I have.
with the exception of an ignitor on the 6041.

As all the diagrams I have checked show the same wiring as on MY STOVES>

I believe Firepot Pete mentioned a difference in wiring to swap an ABC to a 4 button board,
I have been able to interchange them freely.

I am adding inline fuses to my older 6039s (ABC ) for each motor to protect the board.

I used a 6039 to run a 41 with a bad board.
It ran well enough to check the components until I got a board repair.

Big difference I noticed is 6041s and some 6039s have a170F. high limit switch (80390)
the older 6039 has a 250 F. high limit switch. (like Pete said)

Personally I like the 6039 better.
I have bought ,refurbished, and sold both for a few years now.

The auger configuration on the 6041 will jam with too many fines.
Crams the sawdust against the top of the auger shaft and compresses it
Like most newer stoves and all Whitfields.

Bottom feeds being the exceptions, never had one.

WE sieve the bottom 1/8 of the bags on good pellets and more on older or low quality pellets.
Get maybe a handful with fresh bags of high quality.

Not necessary on a 6039,

Some guy on the WEB runs one strictly on sawdust,
has problem getting enough air,
My concern is sawdust is explosive.

I have never gotten a '41 to burn as clean and hot as the '39 I've had for 4 years.
White ash as fine as powder above 3 (of 9) HR.
With high quality pellets.

Could be the high limit ?

I pay good money for old "parts" US Stove 6039s.

OP got a bargain.

Thanks for the confirmation on certain things. I know that as I helped people with 6039's locally that I was finding some differences and then the 41's were really different depending on when they came out.

I think my 6039 must have been one of the first with the 4 button control board because I got it at the Chicago Hardware Show. It was on display and got it for only $800 brand new. They don't like to have to haul things back from those shows and you can get some great deals if you have access to the show through a business. I was at least another year before I saw the 6039's being sold locally with the 4 button control panel.

That control panel is a great board, it just pisses me off that USSC doesn't explain the board better in the manual. 90% of the problems I've helped people with were taken care of by adjusting the feed or draft fan rates. To have that amount of control available and not tell people is beyond me.

They do like to be clean, no doubt. But like many other stoves I see good and bad reviews. I'm to the point where I truly believe there are just a lot of people that should not be using a pellet stove, let a lone a wood burner.

I modded a clinker pot to burn 100% corn and have burned nothing but corn for many years now and cannot even imagine how much money I've saved let alone the nice continuous heat that make the winters in WI a little more bearable.

ETA: Why on earth did USSC change the 6039 so much to the 6041 is also beyond me. I could see a couple of things but they basically half neutered the stove IMO.

Thanks for the confirmation on certain things. I know that as I helped people with 6039's locally that I was finding some differences and then the 41's were really different depending on when they came out.

I think my 6039 must have been one of the first with the 4 button control board because I got it at the Chicago Hardware Show. It was on display and got it for only $800 brand new. They don't like to have to haul things back from those shows and you can get some great deals if you have access to the show through a business. I was at least another year before I saw the 6039's being sold locally with the 4 button control panel.

That control panel is a great board, it just pisses me off that USSC doesn't explain the board better in the manual. 90% of the problems I've helped people with were taken care of by adjusting the feed or draft fan rates. To have that amount of control available and not tell people is beyond me.

They do like to be clean, no doubt. But like many other stoves I see good and bad reviews. I'm to the point where I truly believe there are just a lot of people that should not be using a pellet stove, let a lone a wood burner.

I modded a clinker pot to burn 100% corn and have burned nothing but corn for many years now and cannot even imagine how much money I've saved let alone the nice continuous heat that make the winters in WI a little more bearable.

ETA: Why on earth did USSC change the 6039 so much to the 6041 is also beyond me. I could see a couple of things but they basically half neutered the stove IMO.

My guess is the change was for 2 reasons;
Cost and safety.

The old (6039) auger and auger shaft is much more substantial (better & heavier materials SS) than the new design.

The 6041 hopper is cheap compared with the 6039, no latch and just a flat piece of metal. With lid switch.

I have never had burn back problems or smoking problems because I have a good amount of vertical pipe,
I suppose there have been cases of burnback when the hopper is low.
My friend with a Whit thinks this design is not as safe.

You burn only corn so not a problem.

The switch to a lower high temp switch is telling as well.
250 down to 170.

Can only be for safety considerations.