Rebuilding hearthstone II and I need help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firetender

Oct 31, 2011
south east pa.
I just bought an 80's hearthstone II with rear flue exit.. I have the top, door frames, insides and about half of the soapstones removed. My big problem is that I dont know what (if anything) should be between the inner and outer iron plates that bolt togather for the flue pipe to slide into.There is morter inbetween the iron plates now, but I dont know how it came from the factory. There is a piece of steel flat stock between all the pieces of soapstone where they butt togather, there is also two flat stock pieces in the stones surronding the flue( like a piece of soapstone with a hole for the flue pipe wold be). I looked at the parts diagram , it does not show any such stone, just the inner and outer iron plates. I want to reseal this stove and get it burning again. Any help would be great.

Good Heavens, you're ambitious! Well, the good news is that you simply bolt the flue collar in place with the iron plate thing as a backing. Once it's in place and the top frame is reattached, schmear a bunch of Hearthstone's special cement in the void between flue collar and backing plate to get a pleasant rounded effect. On a rear vent, it's easier to do before the top stones are back on. Anything else? Good luck!!!

Defiant, thank you for the reply. I figured someone here had done this before. The hearthstone special cement you mention, do I need that or could I use cement from rutland? There is still old morter in the space between the plates and it looks like I maybe able to just fill in the rest. Once again thank you.

Use what you have but the Hearthstone stuff is best by alot. It's got some actual soapstone init I think but whatever is in there ,it bonds really well and holds up uch longer than stove cement. Your hardware store may have some kind of castable refractory (like liquid firebrick) and that would be mmy own 2nd choice as the flue collar is suject to big a$$ heat from time to time and those iron parts are likely no longer available so they need big a$$ protection.

Defiant, thank you again for the help. I want to bug you again for more advice. The top stones looked like they were cemented in.(glued down) I assume they should be cemented back in ? Also I guess you had/have one of these stoves? Any thing I should know about burning this stove once I do a couple small fires to cure the cement? Ive been burning over twenty years, but I have a cat stove (fireview) and have never used a secondary burn stove. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Yep, top stones get cemented, and again H'stone cement works best. Give it at least 3 days to set up before first fire, and up to a week is fine if you can.

HGet a manual for this puppy, and don't think too hard about it. Youve got plenty of experience so just keep stack temp. where it needs to be and see what works best for you.

Never owned one myself, but I've lost track of how many I've worked on in 25 years. If my wife liked the soapstone, I'd have one though!!!

Happy heating, Graham

Thank you very much Graham, Im so glad to finally find someone who knows what to do and is willing to help. I got spoiled I guess with woodstock, they answer any tech question I ever had when working on the stove(not that I had to do many repairs) and parts are resonable. Hearthstone has been much more difficult, I had to do every thing thru the dealer and there knowledge is not very good on an older stove. And parts are prices are out of sight. So I thank you very much. I'll have to keep you posted when I get this back togather and burning. I hope the garage at a more constant temp.Thamks again,Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.