Rebuilding VC Intrepid Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikingdad

Sep 22, 2013
I have an older Vermont Castings Intrepid that spent the past several years in an outdoor patio on the coast in Santa Cruz, CA. Everything was seized up solid with rust when I got it. apparently it locked up in the "start" mode, the previous users had obviously been using it that way for a little while at least. Most of the fasteners have broken off in the castings (no problem for me to drill out and re-tap these holes) but there are some of them that might be difficult to reproduce. The back panel that contains the draft damper door (not sure what the correct term for this part is) has warped pretty badly and I am wondering if this part is available or do I have to fabricate something? (It is my understanding that this door must seal up so that the exhaust will not pass through it at all). There is also one of the fire bricks that has broken. Is this part available? I can cement it together if I need to. I also need the top-to-bottom through bolts that hold the whole thing together, the little air inlet door on the back and a large tube of stove cement for re-assembly.

Any tips or sources anybody is willing to share with me?

Can't help with a lot of it, but the top-to-bottom fasteners are Grade 5, 1/4-20UN threaded rod. The stove cement is available along with gaskets, from Rutland, & can usually be found at youtr local hearth shop. You will have to Google Vermont Castings to get their website to find out what replacement parts are available for your unit. Good luck with the rebuild!

Unfortunately parts for many of the pre-90s Vermont stoves are not made anymore. One place to look for parts for older VC is Ferguson Fireplace Shop - one of the mods Defiant referred them to me. Take a look here:

http://www.fergusonfireplace.com/ferfirpartslookuppage.html

select wood stoves and click intrepid. You will find exploded views, but then you have to call them to find out what they actually carry.

Called Furgeson and the part I need, upper firebox plate #1306381, is still available for $25. Might take a while to get it though. I got a caulk tube of the Rutland cement for metal-to-metal and gasket joints. (They sell a 2.5 oz tube for $5 or the 10.5 oz caulk tube for $6.60-- no brainer there!). I am going to make the through-bolts out of 1/4" rod stock. Next step will be to descale the cemented joints and strip it, then put it back together to see if I will need any other special parts. I only want to make one order.

Thanks for the help!

Good luck! To make quick work of cleaning those joints I use a dremel with small grinding tips. Two handed technique with dremel and shop vac hose.

Let us know how it goes and don't hesitate to ask more questions. I've been documenting my own encore rebuild in the main room and got lots of great advice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.