Rebuilding your stove and how to avoid common pitfalls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Last night relatively, warm I decided not to run my stove. This is a used stove, so I expected replacing gaskets. I have already done the door glass gasket, the damper gasket and the flue collar gasket. The griddle gasket was on its last legs, I actually saw a puff of smoke exiting once, I dampened down recently. I knew it was time to replace it,, Last night chore.
I also noticed the fire favored one side of the firebox. So after a real good cleaning it was time to look around. The right side had that fine brownish residue but the left where the fire seems to favor had some black shiny creosote spots. (Shiny creosote spots are usually an indication of an air leak)

Recently there have been quite a few posts of people rebuilding stoves or partial rehabbing.. It occurred to me that everyone, including myself, is entering into new territory. Myself, I have done some in the past. There are some mechanical procedures and safe guards we should think about. Since none of us have detailed rebuilding specs we are in uncharted territory./

As we all know cast iron is brittle and can break. I want to share some of the precaution steps I take, to avoid replacing good parts. Last night I noticed, (Encore stove), the stove has cast iron heat plates on both sides bolted in position, 7/16’ socket required.
I was just about to remove them, when the thought occurred how much force should I apply. when I re install them? Out to the garage to get my torx wrench. I recorded the torx required to break the bolts loose, not only on the plate I was taking out but, also on the right side plate bolts as well. I then added up all my recordings and divided them out to find and average. I now have a pretty good idea of,, how much torx is needed to re tighten them. As I mentioned cast iron is brittle. It is possible to over tighten a bolt and crack the plate. Say my average was 25 ft lbs. What I do is alternate between bolts a may bring both bolts to 10 or 15 lbs torx first then another 5 or so and not tighten one fully at once

What surprised me with the heat plate, it was gasketed on the rear side. The older models it just sits there. My second tip, like that of the flue collar, I feel these factory gasketing, are usually not replaced, like common door gaskets. And that once removed, they will never re-seat correctly. I feel that they should be removed and replaced new. Chances are, it was leaking in the first place. Naturally the plate fits in tight quarters and has to be tilted in a certain way to get it back in position. It came out a lot easier than it went back in. This leads me to another help full hint. With a piece of paper write down how you took it out. It will save a lot of trial and error getting things back together. One may have tip the front left side and tilt it in to get it back. Another hints digital photos of how things looked before disassembly and during it.

Since I gotten quite a few e-mails concerning rebuilding.
I want to share some other things I do to make re assembly easier
The worst thing one can do, is go mad disassembling, without thinking ahead?
It is real hard to fit 4 sides cemented into the bottom base all at once and hold them in the correct position. Impossible to do with 2 hands
What I do before I disassemble it ,is make up an internal wood frame or gig with legs with feet. It mirrors the inside assembly of your existing setup. I use drywall screws to attach the wood assembly together. Thinking ahead it will be stuck inside the stove, with drywall and one can disassemble the gig, after the stove has been set. I use a ratcheting band strap around the stove to hold and pull all joints together till the cement sets. Another variation of this may be helpful in re assembly making up another gig that mirrors the external stove box, but make it slightly bigger and use shingle wedges to make up the spacing difference, when it comes to gluing it all together.

Other hints: Some bolts should not be re-used. Get new bolts with a correct thread. New bolt test every socket by screwing in the new bolt. You should be able to hand tighten in the new bolt and back it out. WD40 is a good idea squirted into the sockets. If they work in and out freely, you do not need to do any more. If they encounter resistance, I suggest re- tapping that socket. Think about replacing questionable bolts with stainless steel bolts.

It has been discussed what to do with bolts that are frozen. I will address that situation in a follow up post. I think gasket replacement has also been discussed. The whole purpose of this post is to get you thinking ahead and to avoid common pitfalls. Good Luck

GVA I thought about that that'why I touqued all bolts to get an average pluss going into new gaskets does have a cushin of safety Maybe one should use 75% or force to take it out

Well Im' testing out my stove tonight after tightening it up. The fire no longer favors the left side but it now tilted towards the right side. I quess I will be repeating my corective measures to the right side soon

I wouldn't have any idea on how often to do a rebuild of a stove, But I would recommend a high temp anti-seize compound, so In the future you wouldn't have to worry about the bolts seizing. Just a suggestion.

Cast iron stove usually donot require rebuild till they become about 12 years old, many will go even longer. Ones that experienced being run too hot or overfires require rebuilding quicker.

I have used anti sieze but it burns off with the heat I was not aware of High temp anti sieze. Do you have any info on the heat range it will work in?

elk,

I just went out to the shop and can't find my ol' can of high temp "Never-Seize" It's copper based and if memory serves me right, it's in the 1200 Deg range. I think they use it on industrial steam boilers. Since it's in the fasteners of the stove body, it should see temps that hot very often, if ever. I'll dig it up in the a.m. It may be in the shed.

elkimmeg said:
Cast iron stove usually donot require rebuild till they become about 12 years old, many will go even longer. Ones that experienced being run too hot or overfires require rebuilding quicker.

I have used anti sieze but it burns off with the heat I was not aware of High temp anti sieze. Do you have any info on the heat range it will work in?

What temp ya need Elk. Most is up to 1200* but some go up to about 3600*. Its the base that really determines ratings most are nickel based but the higher ones are usually copper based.

Wow ya beat me to it shop-dog, I got up to get a beer, then finished my post hit enter and bam I'm too late.
The copper should be higher than 1200*

Understand I encourage positive discussion I stand a chance for learning as mush as the rest of the posters
Thanks for the info I never knew about the high temp product.

Post like these need input and expansion, out of it it would make a good wiki material

Maybe I should ask VC why they are not using the product when assembling their bolts?

GVA said:
elkimmeg said:

What temp ya need Elk. Most is up to 1200* but some go up to about 3600*. Its the base that really determines ratings most are nickel based but the higher ones are usually copper based.
Sorry I got that one backwards...copper is lower than nickel
nickel is to 2600*
there is one with a bit of lead to 3000*
You need to specify the base compound based on the materials used ie: steel/stainless/cast iron etc
I'll have to check my stuff at work, I know I had some that went to 3600*(it may be outlawed now though) but still 2600 should be more than enough ;-)

I'm sure they don't use it, Like auto manufactures not using it. Things would come apart much easier, and parts could be saved. Otherwise parts get busted, threads get stripped and people make money. Its a vicious circle. Its a lifesaver on autos also!

Might be too obvious, but you should also try to obtain a copy of your stove's service manual. I don't know how many service manuals even exist, or if the various manufacturers want you to have it, but I noted in the review of my VC Dutchwest that I was able to get a free copy of the service manual from CFM just from emailing their techs. This would be extremely helpful for a rebuild.

Good point most repair manuals are for dealers and not usually available to the public

Status
Not open for further replies.